PSWD change over to 1Password or eWallet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jethrotoe, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Jethrotoe macrumors regular

Been reading a hundred posts to decide which to get. Either 1Password or eWallet. Been to the web sites also.

A question I can't find an answer to is the change over from my old passwords to one that either of these programs generate.

Can a user of either program tell me if I'm on a let's say a banking web site and I go to the change password section of said site, can I generate a password and automatically insert it into the new password field? The new generated password will obviously be complex and I have many to change.

So I guess my question is: Do they automatically insert, do I have to copy and paste, or manually write it down and type it in.

It's mostly the change over with many passwords that I'm worried about. Other than that both programs seem to work well, although, 1Password seems to be a bit more expensive.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Just copy paste the generated password into the field... It doesn't take much though to realize why automatically inserting a generated password into a "Change Password" site is undesirable.

If you're worried about cost, check out KeePassX. Free, for pretty much the same functionality.

3. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I can only speak for 1Password and it does have a very robust password generator that will automatically fill in the password field--or you can copy and paste it yourself. I don't know a thing about the other program but I give 1Password 5 out of 5 stars and it also runs in sync on my iPhone.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

They also have a beta on Windows and will sync via dropbox. Great product IMHO.

B

5. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks your for the reply's. All good.

Copy and paste is good enough for me, I wanted to confirm that it was that simple. As I said I have a lot to change.

Cost really isn't an issue if I'm getting bang for my buck. The difference between eWallet and 1Password for both the Mac and iPhone/iPad is about $15 so I have to look at what I'm getting for that difference. But not a main concern.

So far 1Password is ahead for me. Although I think I caught reading many threads that eWallet lets you make you own categories where 1Password doesn't. That could be a big thing.

Thanks again.

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

1Password allows you to create your own Tags. You can also organise your entries by Folders, which you can again create your own. You can also have Smart folders.

7. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's sounds about as good. Will check the site again, didn't read about tags.

Probably pull the trigger tomorrow.
    Tks.

8. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

1Password also lets you create secure notes within the app so if you wanted to have a clear text version of important passwords and other login information, you can just create a text file and it is protected the same way as the passwords.

9. jsgreen macrumors 6502

Another vote for 1Password - but I'll add that they have released a PC version in addition to the Mac and iOS versions. Using Dropbox, you can keep your stuff in sync between PC, Mac and iOS platforms, which I've found to be trouble free and super handy.

The 1Password developers are really active, constant stream of improvements and they participate in the Agile Software user forums (which is their preferred way of supporting customers).

10. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Notes sounds like a much needed feature. Tks. I'm gussing that's where I would have to keep my "secret questions" info that go along with the banking type sites. Or can you keep it with the actual banking log in info?

11. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

I saw the PC version on the web site but I'll be using it on the MBP, iPad and iPhone, not on my PC but good to know for anyone else reading this thread. I always have one of the three with me so though I use Dropbox for a lot of things, I'm going to keep this kind of stuff off the cloud.

12. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

In addition to stand-alone notes within 1Password, you can also add notes to the actual login record--so you could put secret questions there. I never thought of doing that--but it is a good idea.

13. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent. Thank you to all for the responses. I'm going to go to the site now and get iPassword. It seemed to get more votes from all the threads I've read. I don't think I'll be sorry.

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I sometimes even put screen shots in there as attachments. Very handy.

B

15. BigRedOne macrumors regular

I have 1Password, 5 Apple program and highly recommend it. Use it on my iPhone as well.

Thanks for the heads up bobr1952, never thought of using it this way, I'll be using this bit of information in the short near future....:)

16. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help and advice

Got 1Password tonight. It's everything that all of you said it was and more.
    Getting the iPhone and iPad version as I write.

Really cool program so far. Took me just a few minutes to set up a few accounts as a test and works flawlessly and quick. Didn't even look at any help files yet. Very simple to use.

Got 20% off with coupon code "iSlayer". For windows users, they are having a site sale of 50% off for anyone interested.

Thanks again.

17. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Glad you like it. :) It has to be one of my most valued apps for OS X, and there are plenty of people of these forums that say the same.

Thanks for the tips about the discounts.

18. Jethrotoe thread starter macrumors regular

I can see where it would be a valued app. I will be using it daily.

iPassword seems to be a bit more for the Mac where eWallet is geared a bit more for PC, although it clearly works on a Mac.

As I use 1Password I'm discovering all these little features that really makes the program.
    I'm still getting used to the browser integration but it does work well.

It's always nice to get a discount isn't it.

19. bobr1952 macrumors 68020

bobr1952

I got 1Password with one of those bundle specials--got the bundle just before I bought my iMac so I would at least have some third-party programs on it. After over two years, I have to say 1Password is the best, that and Pixelmator have proven to be the winners of that bundle. The only other one I ever use from that bundle is AppZapper. Don't even remember what the other programs were.

Glad you are enjoying 1Password!:)