Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Anyone got their hands on the PSX emu yet? Any word re performance for any particular titles? I haven't been able to finish FF9 since my PSXs died and the various OSX PSX emu projects deadended; so excited if/when it gets working on touch.

As with gpsphone I'm sure there are plenty of games which will be pretty much unusable given the control issues (touchscreen); but its a pretty huge library, I'm sure there will be lots of titles which could work great (RPGs, strategy etc).

ROM size is an issue of course...

Have to say, I think Apple was a bit crazy to treat touch like a poor iPhone. I can understand they wanted to limit apps on the iPhone because of telco contracts, security etc etc etc, but a lot of those reasons don't apply to the touch. I worried a lot about jailbreaking but now a few weeks later I can't imagine having a touch without all these amazing apps. The hardware is so powerful, selling it as an iPod with a glitzy UI just seems such a waste...

And thinking about emus, I'm a little surprised console companies, once hardware sales are mostly dead, don't sell emulators themselves. I guess they'd see it as encouraging pirate roms but I'd guess there would be a big market for virtual machines and their games on modern platforms which were commercially-written/supported.

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
Anyone got their hands on the PSX emu yet? Any word re performance for any particular titles? I haven't been able to finish FF9 since my PSXs died and the various OSX PSX emu projects deadended; so excited if/when it gets working on touch.

As with gpsphone I'm sure there are plenty of games which will be pretty much unusable given the control issues (touchscreen); but its a pretty huge library, I'm sure there will be lots of titles which could work great (RPGs, strategy etc).

ROM size is an issue of course...

Have to say, I think Apple was a bit crazy to treat touch like a poor iPhone. I can understand they wanted to limit apps on the iPhone because of telco contracts, security etc etc etc, but a lot of those reasons don't apply to the touch. I worried a lot about jailbreaking but now a few weeks later I can't imagine having a touch without all these amazing apps. The hardware is so powerful, selling it as an iPod with a glitzy UI just seems such a waste...

And thinking about emus, I'm a little surprised console companies, once hardware sales are mostly dead, don't sell emulators themselves. I guess they'd see it as encouraging pirate roms but I'd guess there would be a big market for virtual machines and their games on modern platforms which were commercially-written/supported.

1. Not released yet
2. Therefor unknown for performance and what games are compatible
3. The more people donate and become beta testers the faster we'll see the emulator http://zodttd.com/index.php?serendipity[subpage]=forum

aki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
Yes I meant the beta. Guess you're right tho and i should donate... Don't suppose you've seen it yet?

-Dark Angel-

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2007
If the GBA runs a little choppy and sound quality skips at times, I would hate to think how the PSX games are running.

aki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 2, 2004
Japan
That's what you'd think isn't it but it seems not. In the forums anyway they say the psx emu is already running on ARM (?) processors older than the one in the touch.

Of course performance will probably vary a lot from game to game.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
I dunno... I'd say there are lots of games on the PSX that really need a standard controller to be enjoyable. I can't imagine playing Mortal Kombat (or any fighter) with a multitouch screen.

ShanePod

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
Canada
The GBA emulator has been updated every 2-3 days since its release. Well.. no as often since he started to really work on the PSX emulator but still. Its nice to see frequent updates. Although some might disagree that they'd prefer more time spent on updates I think the more often the better because ZOTTD really does read his forums to see what people are interested in for future updates and implements the good ones and even uses costume skins for button arrangement and look that people have posted.
All I'm saying is that were sure to see the same treatment with the PSX emulator :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.