PSX4ALL Slow issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carfo, Jan 12, 2011.

1. carfo macrumors newbie

Hello there. I had my iPhone jailbreaked when I had 4.1 and had a few PSX games on there like FF7 and FF8 and they ran pretty good. It wasn't great or anything, but it was playable. I restored my phone and lost my jailbreak for a little while until a few days ago I decided to re-jailbreak it. So I re-downloaded psx4all and put FF7 and Chrono Cross on. The problem is that it runs extremely slow. It says like 30 fps but it feels like 5, it was never this bad before when I was running on 4.1. Is this a firmware thing? Something new with the version? Not sure why this is happening. Maybe one of you knows!

2. Savor Suspended

Savor

I can't help you here because when my first gen was jailbroken, I only kept NES, Genesis, SNES, and GBA emulators. Many NES and SNES games already ran like crap and this was back in 2008 in the early jb scene.

The best way for PSX emulation really is buying $10 PSone classic games from the PSN store. 100% smooth. I love my 5 1/2 year old Sony PSP (1001 model) again because I didn't realize how fun it is storing PS1 games onto my 32GB PSP. I have four of my fav games downoaded which includes FFVII, FFVIII, MGS, and this Genesis Collection (28 games in 1) I got for $10. Two of my fav consoles (Genesis and PlayStation 1) are now in the palm of my hand and all run great.

The PSP2 should be announced on Jan 27th. I am looking forward more to that than the Nintendo 3DS because I prefer raw power and storing games in my memory card instead of carrying physical media. I want to see if it emulate Dreamcast games. The battery life and price for the 3DS is already a turn-off and the 3D seems gimmicky just like motion controls is with the Wii. My only prob is that PSP2 games will likely offer more resolution and such, which means taking up MORE memory space. A 32GB just wouldn't be enough for me.

Here is some advice on how to get 32GB for cheap on the PSP and make it into a TRUE PLAYSTATION 1 PORTABLE -

PhotoFast CR-5400 MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter Dual Slot

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFast-CR-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294877382&sr=8-1

SanDisk 16 GB microSDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDQ-016G (Bulk Packaging) (get two)

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-micro...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294877452&sr=1-2

MicroSDHC to to Memory Stick Pro Duo (Bulk Static Package) (get this just in case you get a bad PhotoFast card. This is a back-up. MicroSD tend to always be cheaper than memory stick pro duos and is more widely used)

http://www.amazon.com/MicroSDHC-Mem...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294877558&sr=1-1

I paid $57 for all of it off Amazon just two weeks ago. I saved about $30 compared to a Lexar 32GB memory stick pro duo and I can always switch to phones because of the microSD's versatility and lower cost. And oh yeah, the PSP has a screen the size of the Droid X and has actual buttons. Playing PS1 games on an iPhone already runs like crap. Lack of buttons makes the experience even worse. Get a true portable gaming console for it and use MediaGo which is better than DoubleTwist. Enjoy! I know I am. Reliving my middle school/high school years again after more than a dozen years. PSP is a JRPG fan/retro gamer dream come true for on the go. Such a shame it gets dissed by Nintendo fans because of "sales" when it has more versatility and games get affordable in the longer run. Can't wait to get Xenogears and Parasite Eve again.

3. carfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I do have a PSP with a custom firmware! I've had it for a few years actually. It's the old phat model. I think I'll just stick with GBA emulator because FF6 runs at 60fps and that's still a great game. The reason I like to play it on my phone is because I don't always have my PSP in my pocket :p

4. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

The PSP is awful, please refrain from recommending people waste their money on one.

5. Savor Suspended

Savor

The future of portable gaming involves having more online distribution similar to iPhone/iPod touch and their App Store. At first, I wasn't warming up to the idea of PSP Go having download games only. Now I realize it can be fun storing dozens of games on my handheld without needing to worry about losing the physical game. My MediaGo/PSN account backs it up in case my data gets erased. With the original PSP, I get the best of both worlds anyway (physical media + online). Only hobbyists and pack-rats who want to turn junk into gold may still care about physical media for resell value.

The prob with iPhone is it will never have buttons to EXPERIENCE these older games the right way. I used to have a great emulator for the Genesis on my iPod touch with excellent framerate and it still sucked playing Sonic on it just like the official one in the App Store without the feel of buttons. Platformers and fighting games are pretty much useless to plsy on an iPhone. For $10, the Genesis Collection already offers more value and I get the controls I want while turning it into a sleeker Sega Nomad. I really hope they continue to make more of these compilation games from the 16-bit days and later eras. They can offer a ton of value if done the right way. Final Fantasy 1 & II is offered for like $9.99. You get a superior game in FFVII - FFIX for the same price at PS Store and automatic 30 - 50 hrs of gameplay. Stick to a PlayStation system to play PlayStation games.

Help these game companies out. Square Enix is going through financial probs. I used to be a freeloading pirate and refused to pay for anything from the App Store for months when it first released. Then I realized it can be wrong to mooch off these companies. With ROMS, since you aren't paying for anything, you get what you pay for. Crap gameplay and framerates. No buttons make it worse. $10 is not asking for an arm and a leg here for PS1 classics. Hell, Nintendo still sells their games like Mario Kart DS at a premium ($35) about 6-7 years later. With Nintendo, you pay cheaper upfront for the console, but end up paying more for all their games and accessories. Sony have higher cost for consoles early on, but at least drops the prices on their games and any other popular hit to half ($20) about a year or so later.

Sony got so much flak for adding Blu-ray, and guess what? It won the format war. With Nintendo, you fall for the cheap gimmicks and underpowered systems early on because of the lower price like I did with my Wii and DS, and then you get really bored with it later on. It is 2011 and the system needing an upgrade is now the Wii. The PS3 was built to last longer and is more future-proof to give you a ten-year cycle. 3DS Version 1 is a "NO" for me. They will update it again in 12-18 months and hopefully have something better than that 3 -5 hrs of battery life. Their first GBA had no backlight. Their first GBA SP and DS had a dim backlight. Then they updated it again and again. I love Nintendo, but they are just as bad at swindling people than Sony.

6. carfo thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I just love emulation. I actually prefer touch screen controls over physical buttons though. Again, I already have a PSP though and, again, it's not really about the size. I like the convenience of having an All-In-One portable device, and since the iPhone pretty much does everything else (music, media, internet, phone) having good emulation will complete the circle. I know I'll probably have to wait a few years for the next iPhone versions with faster processors and whatnot (the samsung galaxy was running ff9 at 60fps in a YT video..it's possible on small portable devices) but, AGAIN, before I re-jailbreaked, I had very little lag playing FF7. Now, after updating, it's slow. Does anyone know why? Could it be the newer PSX4ALL version? I've tried different sources of the psx bios but they're all the same speed.

7. bobbytallant macrumors 6502

Hey having the same problems with the latest psx4all.

Like you the previous version worked much better for me - FF7 was particularly good, but now its glitchy as hell. Hopefully it will be sorted in the next version. Best paid jb app I ever bought when it works!

8. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

This all sounds an awful lot like what Apple does
    hmmmm