Psychoanalyze This

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by designs216, Apr 18, 2013.

1. designs216 macrumors 65816

designs216

As one of the first acts in office, my new boss moves my office mate out. The rationale is that the person will have "higher visibility" but I smell a lie. What should I surmise is the actual reason for the singling out from the rest of the department?

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm not sure exactly what it means, but if you should come in one day and find your desk on fire...that's a bad sign!!:eek:

;) :D

3. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Boss: Milton, we need you to move down to the basement.

Milton: I'm going to burn this place...

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I wouldn't surmise anything from the information you've provided.

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I think we need a bit more by way of background information before making any sort of informed observation on this.

Moves your office mate 'out' to where, exactly? Is this move seen as a promotion or demotion, or a sideways move? Where does that leave you - alone, in splendid isolation, twiddling your thumbs with newly bestowed professional importance, or alone in the sort of bubble where you are ignored? What does this move mean for both of you - were you both doing the same work before now, or were one of you reporting to the other?

What sort of work do you chaps do within the organisation and where does what you do lie on the organisation's chart, or organigram, or office hierarchy? Is any section (such as, say, yours) likely to be at risk, or due to be merged, or reduced in importance? Have similar moves taken place elsewhere in the organisation, and if so why? If not, why not?

Have any one of you had any sort of prior professional (or even personal) relationship with this new boss? Does he (or she) have their own people whom they may wish to appoint, or promote? Why was he or she appointed? Was he or she appointed to carry out a specific task, or tasks?

All of these questions occur to me, and it is impossible to give any sort of thoughtful response to your post unless you (not us) ask them, or similar questions, of yourself.

6. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Wouldn't that be giving a larger office to you? Isn't that good?

7. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

My office mate will be moved away from myself and everyone else in our department. Don't get me wrong, I cherish my fortress of solitude but this does not encourage collaboration. Neither one of us reported to each other and I am still the grunt I was before (AFAIK), ie no new importance. There is no redundancy to my position, I'm the only one here who can do this work.

Your third question above has us vexed as well. The new boss was formerly sales in the company we acquired and has been appointed a marketing manager in our company. We didn't know her from Adam previously and don't see any obvious qualifications or leadership skills.

----------

Yes but it's too good to be true. As you can see, I'm looking for ulterior motives.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

There you have it. She wants you. And wants private space for spontaneous seks on the off chance the opportunity presents itself.

9. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Have you considered the possibility that your previous office mate may have asked to move? There could be any number of reasons for this if it's true.

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

Has your former office-mate been moved to nicer or less location? Is it possible your boss is making room for some new hires? Could the new boss be spreading their employees out to physically take up more floor space to justify an increase in budget?

11. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Just jump to conclusions. :rolleyes:

12. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

This!

13. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

Nope. We've talked about it and she's more upset than me. I've told management that this move is bad for morale, singling out one team member from the the rest of the department, but they are standing fast.

----------

The new boss works remotely.

----------

The former office mate has been relocated from our window office to to the cube farm with tech support. My company just bought a new division so my guess is this move is not making space for additional hires. Mgmt is pretty miserly about adding new grunts, they mostly hire salesmen and more managers. We've speculated that the new supervisor is freeing up a window space so she can park here when she's in town.

14. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

for now ;)

Which is where you're headed soon!

Bingo!

If she'd moved you together, her window-office-grabbing tactic would've been obvious and you could've opposed her together. By dividing you, your ex-cube mate now resents you (since you got to stay in the office) and you're too busy contemplating "what it all means" to offer any opposition to the boss. In a couple of months when it's your turn to be decanted to the cube farm, you'll be on your own and your ex-cube mate will be indifferent to your plight.

Divide and conquer at work!

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Someone was moved? It seems like it isn't a big deal. It took me a very long time to get to a point where I don't question where I'm moved to as long as a paycheck is being deposited every two weeks. I'm pro employment and spending time on conspiracy theories surrounding employee moves would just add to my stress.

16. designs216 thread starter macrumors 65816

designs216

You're right of course. In the big picture, if the deposits keeping coming, I can feed my family. Corporate BS like this happens all the time and for once I just wish mgmt had been forthright.