Psychosomatism and the 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by samcraig, Jun 29, 2009.

1. samcraig macrumors P6

Curious to hear other people's opinions on this as to a small degree I might be "guilty" of this..

I genuinely don't think there's much wrong with my 3gs. Sure the GPS isn't 100 percent full-proof, but it wasn't on my blackberry either (and on the iphone, it's much quicker)

My battery life for the first 24-48 was terrible - but now it sees to be on par with what I would expect given my usage (faster than my bb was, but then again, I'm doing more)

I don't believe I have any yellow screen issues, cracks, dropped calls, vm issues, wifi issue, etc.

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones (knock wood)

But - all that being said - with all the posting going on about various people having various issues - do you all think there's a SMALL change (hard to self admit I understand) that some of the "issues" are, well, perhaps psychosomatic? As in - people are just looking too hard or thinking they have issues when their phones are operating within the actual parameters they're supposed to?

No granted - some things are irrefutable. If you can't ever get onto wifi- you can't. But even my home computer will sometimes crap out on the wireless and need to be rebooted or re-connected. Every phone experiences drop outs (and with the recent surge in iphones on the 3g network - isn't it possible we're just experiencing a week or so of extra drain on resources?)

I'm sure there are a lot of examples. But in short - I feel sometimes when someone posts an issue they're having and others jump on it that they might be either making too much out of nothing or dare I say - imagining or creating an issue in their heads which doesn't exist. Or, like I said - is within normal reason/expectations for a device.

No phone experiences zero dropped calls. All phones have various volume levels to a point. All phones have various screen temperatures (not extremes) - but in short, not every "difference" - especially between the 3g and 3gs might be a "problem"

Know what I'm sayin?

2. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

I think you'll find a lot of angry, defensive responses, but yes, I believe you are quite correct. Then again, perhaps we find it more difficult to accept even small flaws when our handset costs $200-$500 as opposed to, well, free.

3. jmmo20 macrumors 65816

Hardly psychosomatic. That's for example if you buy an iphone, think you're getting nerve damage because of the iphone radiations, feel pain, but it'¡s all in your head.

what you describe is more like psychological defects in the 3Gs.. I think :)

4. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I mean - you think you are having problems because you keep reading about other people's issues with their iphones... so I believe psychosomaticism works here :)

I do think that there are legitimate issues with some people's phones. I also think that some people might be a little tooooooo picky.

5. Rootus macrumors 6502

There are probably plenty of legitimate issues people are having; the issue is you only hear about problems. How many 3GS iPhones have been purchased since the release? Somewhere between one and two million? How many problems have you read about here? 50? 100? It's important to remember that MacRumors users constitute a very tiny fraction of the whole iPhone user base ;).

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I am absolutely thrilled with the 3GS. I can't remember feeling greater satisfaction in a consumer device.

Previously, my Panasonic 50G10 beat the iPhone 3G in satisfaction with a purchase with the 3GS Apple discovered perfection.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I think you meant to title this "OCD and the 3GS."

8. w3cum macrumors regular

And remember.. Very few people seek out a forum and say how happy they are.... People come here to Bitch and Whine and spread Rumor.... There are a select few here who actually are helpful so be warry of who you listen to. Remember anyone can join MacRumors....

9. computermilk macrumors 6502

I actually have a different theory on most of these 3Gs "problems"

I think a # of them are actually people who don't even own one and are probably Palm Pre, Storm etc etc owners and they come on here create an account and post up a problem.

I'm the same as the OP, not a single problem and everything is running amazingly, all of my co workers who also got a 3Gs have not had a single problem either.

10. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

So now we're pitching conspiracy theories? :eek:

11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i have no complaints for my 1st gen iphone, my 3G, and now my 3GS - some people just have nothing better to do

12. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06