Ptical Digital Audio Output on Macbook white 2007 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Buzzmon, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Buzzmon macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    My macbook white 2007, 2.2GHz MacBook
    (MB062LL/B), is connected via digital optical out (toslink to mini toslink adapter) into my Yamaha RXV 371 receiver, which i just bought recently.
    However there is no sound coming out!

Same setup works perfectly on my girlfriend's MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4 13" (Mid-2010)

Everything seems to appear the same in system preferences and audio midi setup on both macbooks. The only difference is: No sound from my mac

Anyone any thoughts on this.

Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

As I am confused by your wording ("audio midi setup"), maybe check System Preferences > Sound > Output or OPTION/Alt click the sound/volume icon in the Menu Bar and tell us, what is listed and checked as Output Device.

[​IMG]

3. Buzzmon thread starter macrumors newbie

Optical Digital Audio Output on Macbook white 2007 doesn't work

Thank you very much for your reply!

When I option click the sound/volume icon.

Output Device:
    Digital Out (Checked)
    Soundflower (2ch)
    Soundflower (16ch)

Re 'Audio Midi Setup'. If you search in spotlight Audio Midi Setup it gives you a control panel with some options on you Audio Devices

4. tatr09 macrumors newbie

I tried alt click on the volume control and nothing happens. I also checked in pref pane and I do not have an option under the sound tab. Could my macbook be too old. It does state that the spdif output connection is a combo in the "about this mac" section

5. Buzzmon thread starter macrumors newbie

cotton buds

I solved the problem with the optical out a while ago. After going to the apple store and testing it, they couldn't solve the problem. They suggested I replace the motherboard which would set me back 280£.
    Anyhow, I went back home and tried something else.
    Take a cotton bud very slighty dampen it with water, and push it in to the headphone/optical out socket and twist and turn the cotton bud and blow a few times in the socket.
    Try putting the optical cable in now... it should work.
    It's basically that over time the socket has gathered dust which blocks the light signal which is needed for the optical cable to send information through.

Give it a go,

Cheers

6. pathumx macrumors member

Thanks for this post. Everything else I had found didn't work. But I tried cleaning the socket on my 15 inch, late 2008 MacBook Pro and that did the trick right away. Now I have optical audio out working again!