Pub Quiz - Have Apple given me a free upgrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MrGimper, Oct 18, 2013.

1. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

OK just for fun... I'll find out in a couple of hours....

Wednesday I took my fully loaded 2012 13" Air to my local apple store due to bright spots on the screen. The Genius booked it in for a screen replacement. The work order said "turnaround: same day", but the genius said 5-7 days due to a backlog.

I called the store at 12:45 today (Friday) to ask how the repair was going, and quoted the "same day" thing (to try and speed up the repair, I miss it LOL). The guy went away and came back and said I should have been told 5-7 days. However one of the Genii had said he'd get on the repair straight away. 20 minutes later I got a call that it was done. Now .. when my iMac was repaired, I received an email stating it was ready, with a subject line of "Your product is ready for pickup". The email I just received for the Air says "Your replacement product is ready for pickup".

So considering the turnaround was wrongly stated as same day, the 5-7 days due to a backlog, the 20 minutes to complete the repair and the mention of replacement in the email subject.... do you put your money on me getting a new 2013 machine?

2. awair macrumors regular

No, a 2012 refurb of same spec. 90-day warranty or remainder of original, whichever is greater.

I really hope I'm wrong. They do nice things occasionally...

3. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

I hope you're wrong too .... would they carry 2012 refurbs in store? My store carry out repairs in store.

4. Lifter7 macrumors newbie

In both cases, you will be getting a brand new machine. ( At least refb.)

A win-win situation in my eyes. Another reason why I'm going for apple, the customer service is top class.

5. MrGimper thread starter macrumors 601

MrGimper

Alas it wasn't a replacement machine, but a top case replacement.
    I did get another Samsung screen tho, which is good :)