Public access television

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by cr2sh, Sep 23, 2007.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

About 6 months ago I decided I wanted to get more involved with Dayton's local public access channel... we've got a fantastic station here with a lot of great original content and I had a few ideas, so I wanted to learn more.

I went down and sat through the orientation, it took about an hour and I learned what it would take to make videos using their hardware, software, and studio space. After the hour was over and I was depressed that I'd be required to take hours and hours of training to learn their camera operation, their mic operation, avid editing and a bunch of other stuff.. I asked "How about if I shoot on my own camcorder, edit with my own software, and show up with a DVD in hand? Will you show that content?" Surprisingly, the answer was "Yes.. you just need to sign a waiver."

Since then I've been thinking about what type of show I want to do.. what type of content I want to produce.. and I really think I'd like working in social activism (Dayton is home of Wright Pat AFB has as such has a lot of wounded Veteran's living here, many in poverty), we have a large homeless population, we rank 15th in the nation in foreclosure rates but 145th in population, and I'd love to do a sort of schoolhouse rock type of show on stem cell research.

Anyways.. these are my ideas, I wanted to see if anyone else is currently involved with public access television and if so what type of shows they produce?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I know you are eager to get out there and shoot something but learning and getting access to the equipment the public access channel has to offer would probably be pretty beneficial. For example, I'm assuming they have studio space where you could do a multi camera shoot (w/proper mic'ing) of a round table discussion about the homeless situation, for example. Maybe try and get a local city council person and a representative from a local shelter for example. Also, finding someone w/experience who is willing to teach you is the best way to learn how to do things in this field.

Lethal

3. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Lethal, as always your advice is sound. I registered this morning for their basic studio course to learn mic'ing and some multi-camera technique.

So no one does public access work?

4. pxlmvr7 macrumors newbie

I started at public access in 1990 with no experience and i've worked my way up to being Editor and Director of Production for an internationally broadcast TV show.

Take the classes. You won't regret getting the experience of knowing how to shoot and edit. The other main point is that you want people to *watch* your program. Without good production skills, your show will *look* like a public access show and people *will change the channel*!

So, my advice is to take the time to get some skills. Besides, it's probably free and a lot of kids spend tens of thousands of dollars going to school to get many of the same skills.

5. coldmember macrumors newbie

I'm somewhere between the serious hobby and trying to make a buck stages and I routinely shoot for public access on my dime using my gear.

The usual programming here is round table discussions, city council meetings, and church activities. I take a different track and shoot original programming including a regular series where I follow someone around for a day and the occasional short local history docs.

It's really been a positive experience thus far. And I've even gotten some notoriety and free dinners. And although there's been some business generated, I see it more as a skill building opportunity than anything else.