iPhone Public beta question.

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by HankHowdy, May 13, 2015.

1. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

The only way that I can use the public beta program for iOS 8 is if I have a Mac and enroll it as well?

I don't have a Mac.

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Even then there is no guarantee that you will be selected. It seems that it is invite only for the time being and that you have had to submit multiple bug reports for Mac OS X. I wouldn't bother with it.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

It's my understanding that the OS X Beta was around 1 million people when selected people last summer for Yosemite. And during 8.2 (8.3 beta had already started for developers) when they launched iOS public beta they took "roughly 100k (a rumour I heard when they opened up public beta for iOS) of those people. Now if that was random draw or they had some sort or criteria I have no clue.

5. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

You could search the internet for the super secret iOS beta profile.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

I wonder why they opened up OS X to pretty much anyone but not iOS despite it being a similar public beta. Not only that, but even if it was a slow roll out, why it's still only for a small portion of those on the program after already having gone through 8.3 and now being on 8.4 betas.

7. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

No clue as to why there were way less people selected for iOS beta. (I was one of lucky ones who got an email day one of iOS public beta.) If I were to take a massive guess. I would think because with OS X people can at least make a whole new partition to test the beta and report bugs. Leaving their working OS still functional incase any huge problems arise. With iOS you can't, so with more people that opens up too many opportunities of crashing too many people's main phone (or iPad). Less people on iOS beta = less potential complaints of "Apple broke my phone" haha. :p

Or maybe something as simple of just not a whole lot of the 1 million OS X people actually participated and they only selected people who were active in that for iOS.

8. mgroot macrumors regular

mgroot

Nah, that's not entirely true. I was/am on the OSX beta and I filed one bug for it and I still got the iOS beta

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps it's more that you submitted any feedback at all vs. nothing.