Public beta question...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gentsuperman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Gentsuperman macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

If I update 6s and AW to public beta's will I be able to just update to finished version when it's released next month without messing about too much.

2. bbednarz57 macrumors member

bbednarz57

Public beta is only for iOS and macOS. No public watch beta. That being said, you can use the iOs 10 beta with the current watch software without issues. When I did the betas last year I stayed on a beta cycle. You do get the GM release, but also have access to the public betas for 10.1,10.2,etc..

3. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

So if I install OS10 public beta then when GR is launched I can just update without having to mess around. I thought there was a public beta for OS3 aswell.

4. teidon macrumors 6502

teidon

The last version of the beta, called Golden Master (GM for short), will be the same version that will later be released as iOS 10.0.0. The same applies for watchOS beta. And as said, there is no public beta for watchOS but there may or may not be easy methods for installing the developer beta without proper license. Google may or may not be able to help you with that.

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

As long as there is no way to downgrade your Apple Watch at home, without having to send it to Apple for repair, there won't be a PB for a watch. Way too risky.

6. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I found a watchOS 3 beta profile by searching online, and have been using the beta for a couple weeks now, with only one spontaneous restart. Otherwise, it seems very stable, fast, and is a huge upgrade over watchOS 2.

7. Gentsuperman thread starter macrumors newbie

Gentsuperman

My only worry is that when the GM comes out will it be as simple as going to settings / software update and updating to Watch OS3 / IOS10. Also if your on public beta for IOS10 and install Watch OS3 via Google they aren't going to block or anything are they because you did that without a dev account.

8. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Rather than worry about what you don't know or understand why not just wait a few more days. Betas are not 'new toys' and are used as a test bed for bugs and futures that don't work as intended.

9. richxps macrumors 65816

richxps

Question if one has public beta installed , once GM is released can I remove the beta profile and go back to standard updates or does that require a restore

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Don't need it to answer. You don't have to do anything or you can delete the profile. Standard updates just happen like they happen to everyone.

If you leave it on you will probably get any beta (3.1 first) updates. If you remove it you won't.

11. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Good luck when you brick your Apple Watch :)