Public/Private Key SSH Authentication Failing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Littleodie914, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I've got an old iBook G4 that I'm using as a file server. I've set up public/private key SSH authentication on the machine. Here are the steps I've followed:

1. Create a non-admin user account on the iBook. ('craig')
    2. Log in on the iBook physically, and create a public/private key combination that is password protected. I was very careful to remember my password.
    3. Add the public key to authorized_keys2, which is the file specified in /etc/sshd_config
    4. I used a USB thumbdrive to transfer the private key to my Macbook. I tried to log in to the iBook using:
      Code:
      ssh 192.168.1.147 -i ~/Desktop/craig/id_dsa -v
    5. It prompts me for a password, but entering it properly does not grant access, the window just pops up again. Running in verbose mode, I see:
      Code:
      debug1: Authentications that can continue: gssapi,publickey,keyboard-interactive
      debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
      debug1: Offering public key: /Users/Craig/.ssh/id_dsa_craig
      debug1: Authentications that can continue: gssapi,publickey,keyboard-interactive
      debug1: Trying private key: /Users/Craig/Desktop/craig/id_dsa
      debug1: PEM_read_PrivateKey failed
      debug1: read PEM private key done: type <unknown>

So I'm a little confused. First, it's trying to use a public key in my .ssh folder that I don't specify. Second, when it finally gets around to using the private key I suggested, authentication fails. :confused:

I can post my sshd_config file if you think it will help, but I don't want to clog the tubes. :D

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think you have the order wrong on the command. Try,

Code:
    ssh -v -i ~/Desktop/craig/id_dsa 192.168.1.147