iPhone X Public Service Announcement...

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
I know this has been posted before, but for those who may have missed it and are new to Face ID.

Referencing the front page news about Police forcing someone to use FACEID to unlock their phone.

Push the Power Button five times quickly disables Face ID and the only way to unlock the phone is by passcode. So if you find yourself in a situation where u need to protect your information, there you go.

:D:cool::)

Waterman316

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2018
I know this has been posted before, but for those who may have missed it and are new to Face ID.

Referencing the front page news about Police forcing someone to use FACEID to unlock their phone.

Push the Power Button five times quickly disables Face ID and the only way to unlock the phone is by passcode. So if you find yourself in a situation where u need to protect your information, there you go.

Doesn’t work for me on my max.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

That applies similarly to Touch ID.

That said, it's basically one of the effects of Emergency SOS, which can also automatically call emergency services, so it's good to keep that in mind and check out Emergency SOS settings prior to trying to use it for these types of purposes.

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

You hold down the volume up and power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates once and shows the 'power down' screen, click on cancel. Once you do that, the passcode will need to be entered, in order to regain access to the phone.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota

Doesn't work for me either on my Max. After 2 quick pushes, by CC pops up in Apple Pay. Does it as I push the power button 5 quick times. Then I push again, no passcode required, it unlocks with face ID.

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Don't know if this can be done, but would love it if you could tell Siri to lock you phone using Shortcuts.

Edit: Looks like if you ask, "Siri, who's phone is this, it answers, then forces you to type in your passcode".

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. Settings >Emergency SOS
I see the option to disable the Auto Call feature, but not Emergency SOS itself. This is on my iPhone 7 with iOS 12.0, in case it might be different with other devices (although it would be odd that it would be different in respect to being able to enable/disable that whole feature).

BasicGreatGuy

macrumors G5
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I see the option to disable the Auto Call feature, but not Emergency SOS itself. This is on my iPhone 7 with iOS 12.0, in case it might be different with other devices (although it would be odd that it would be different in respect to being able to enable/disable that whole feature).
If 'Call with Side Button' toggle is off, the OP method will not work. Hence, my reply to the OP.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Turn off Call with side button.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If 'Call with Side Button' toggle is off, the OP method will not work. Hence, my reply to the OP.
Interesting. I just have the "Auto Call" option that can be enabled/disabled, but Emergency SOS itself (as in being able to invoke that mode by pressing the lock/side button 5 times) is just there with no option to disable or change it.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Interesting. I just have the "Auto Call" option that can be enabled/disabled, but Emergency SOS itself (as in being able to invoke that mode by pressing the lock/side button 5 times) is just there with no option to disable or change it.
Thats because your phone uses touchID.

Packers1958

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2017
South Dakota
Don't have that:

[doublepost=1538443384][/doublepost]
Strange that that particular option would differ in terms of whether or not the device uses Touch ID or Face ID. (Unless there's some particular reasoning for it that plays a difference in it all.)
Om my Xs Max and previous X, with face ID I can't hold the power button for several seconds which then would allow me to power off phone like I could when I had my 7.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Om my Xs Max and previous X, with face ID I can't hold the power button for several seconds which then would allow me to power off phone like I could when I had my 7.
Right, they did change that. Not quite sure of the exact reasoning there either.

However, you can still do something to bring up that screen still, while in this case it's not that the way to do something is different, it's just that the whole option isn't there.

Mr.Scarface

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
you hold the power and volume up to turn off. Also, If you push the power button 5 times u will see the SOS and the power off option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.