iPhone X Public Service Announcement...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mr.Scarface, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Mr.Scarface macrumors regular

I know this has been posted before, but for those who may have missed it and are new to Face ID.

Referencing the front page news about Police forcing someone to use FACEID to unlock their phone.

Push the Power Button five times quickly disables Face ID and the only way to unlock the phone is by passcode. So if you find yourself in a situation where u need to protect your information, there you go.

:D:cool::)

2. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

Doesn’t work for me on my max.

3. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That applies similarly to Touch ID.

That said, it's basically one of the effects of Emergency SOS, which can also automatically call emergency services, so it's good to keep that in mind and check out Emergency SOS settings prior to trying to use it for these types of purposes.

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You hold down the volume up and power button at the same time. When the phone vibrates once and shows the 'power down' screen, click on cancel. Once you do that, the passcode will need to be entered, in order to regain access to the phone.

5. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

This works on my Max, XS, X and 7 .... (and has done so for a while now) no idea what is different about yours.

6. Waterman316 macrumors 6502

I think it’s maybe because I have the sos thing turned off

7. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Doesn't work for me either on my Max. After 2 quick pushes, by CC pops up in Apple Pay. Does it as I push the power button 5 quick times. Then I push again, no passcode required, it unlocks with face ID.

8. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

Don't know if this can be done, but would love it if you could tell Siri to lock you phone using Shortcuts.

Edit: Looks like if you ask, "Siri, who's phone is this, it answers, then forces you to type in your passcode".

9. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

That's why.

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

It can be disabled?

11. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Yes. Settings >Emergency SOS

12. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

I see the option to disable the Auto Call feature, but not Emergency SOS itself. This is on my iPhone 7 with iOS 12.0, in case it might be different with other devices (although it would be odd that it would be different in respect to being able to enable/disable that whole feature).

13. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If 'Call with Side Button' toggle is off, the OP method will not work. Hence, my reply to the OP.

14. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Turn off Call with side button.

15. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Interesting. I just have the "Auto Call" option that can be enabled/disabled, but Emergency SOS itself (as in being able to invoke that mode by pressing the lock/side button 5 times) is just there with no option to disable or change it.

16. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Thats because your phone uses touchID.

17. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Don't have that:
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2018 ---
    Strange that that particular option would differ in terms of whether or not the device uses Touch ID or Face ID. (Unless there's some particular reasoning for it that plays a difference in it all.)

18. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

Om my Xs Max and previous X, with face ID I can't hold the power button for several seconds which then would allow me to power off phone like I could when I had my 7.

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Right, they did change that. Not quite sure of the exact reasoning there either.

However, you can still do something to bring up that screen still, while in this case it's not that the way to do something is different, it's just that the whole option isn't there.

20. Mr.Scarface thread starter macrumors regular

you hold the power and volume up to turn off. Also, If you push the power button 5 times u will see the SOS and the power off option.

21. Packers1958 macrumors 65816

I do not see the power off when I push the power button 5 times. I have SOS turned off, that's why.