Public transportation directions

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by luqtotheman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. luqtotheman macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I live in SF and depend (well depended) on my iPhone for transit directions through google maps but with that gone since I got my iphone 5 what do you guys use for public transportation directions now???

I know there are apps that have routes of the public transportation but how about giving you directions using the public transit system?

what do you do guys use now that google maps is gone ?

2. Brazuca macrumors regular

The apps do that. Just install one of the free ones and try it out.

3. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

There are several apps available. Embark and HopStop are popular. I use HopStop in Chicago and it works really well. Nice thing is that you can go into these apps right from apple maps, just select the public transportation option and you'll get a screen listing the apps you have installed that can do public transport and some in the app store as well.

4. luqtotheman thread starter macrumors regular

THANK YOU!!!! appreciate taking the time!

this is a actually really good solution!

5. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Wow, now I start to understand how much that Public Transportation stuff is blown out of proportion.

I finally tried it in google and it is completely useless here in germany as it doesn't have local busses and trams. But there is a free app by the German official railway and it just works perfectly.

Even if Google has much better info in other parts of the world I am sure there are apps that at least match Google's data and maybe are even more comfortable.

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Not here there aren't.

I still can't find an App that covers my city. Google has excellent bus routing options here.

7. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

Strange, Apple seems to hate the UK

But is it really that much of a difference using Google maps as a web app?

8. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

As for transit, the web app is actually A LOT better than the native Google Map in 5.1. Google held back a lot of features in the iOS app.

9. spgggm macrumors newbie

come on Apple -- support public transit

i think that the previous (Google) map app was a tremendous boon to people who use public transit, especially when traveling. you might have your local public transit app on your iphone, but you're unlikely to have one for each area you're visiting on vacation (or on business trips). plus, each of the ones for "foreign" cities will have a different interface you'll have to learn, etc.

for me, ever since getting public transit info on the iphone, i've been able to hop on buses, in addition to using the underground, in places all over the US and Europe. i've really enjoyed it, and really benefitted from it. i would hate to see Apple maps not provide similar functionality.

if Apple wants to help people get out of cars and taxis and start using mass transit, they should support the same level of functionality for mass transit that Google provided. i wouldn't think that Apple would want to dump mass transit riders in favor of drivers.

10. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Apple seems to be too US-centric sometimes.

Something like 90% of journeys in the US take place in cars (or other private vehicles). Most often with only one person inside.

In my City, it's more like 40%.