Public Website Via Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by romanianwog, May 5, 2009.

1. romanianwog macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I installed everything that is needed to run php, e.g. PHP, Mysql, Apache etc. and i got phpbb to run fine on my Macbook. So my question is, how do i publish it to the web using a domain like .co.nr or .tk . Would No-Ip.com (if so how do i set-up) work?

thanks, James

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need to sign up with a hosting provider, through which you'll buy your domain name and then (probably) upload your web files via FTP or SSH. Depending on what domain you want (.com, .biz, or a country domain like .fr or whatever) you'll need to use different providers. Check out these threads for a good place to start:

Thread 1
    Thread 2

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

The above wil definately work if you want to use a hosting company, but, from the sounds of it you want to publish this from your Macbook.

I would advise not running from your Macbook as if you have ADSL then the upload speed will be terrible, and once you have got a few concurrent connections, its really going to suffer.

Also, depending on the spec of your Macbook, that will start to suffer once a few people start to browse it.

However, should the above not apply to you, or you simply don't care, you would need to simply register your domain name and get some sort of public DNS. If you can get a static public IP address from your ISP, get one, and point DNS at it.

If you can't, sign up for something like Dynamic DNS and then you would need a client on your Macbook that updates the DynDNS service

Hopefully this helps a bit

4. romanianwog thread starter macrumors newbie

for skool i have to make a php, Mysql website, and my teacher wants me to try make the website run off of my computer. I know about hosting etc. as i currently own my own ipod website with 6000+ members. This is just a personal thing not for the wider community to access.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

If it's a personal thing, just access it with the IP address.

6. romanianwog thread starter macrumors newbie

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Depends where you're accessing from. If you're running the web server on the same computer as your web browser, you can just type "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" into the browser's location bar. From another computer on the same network subnet, use the server's local IP. From any other computer, you'll have to forward the appropriate port to your server (if you're behind a router) and access it via the public IP. (From the local computer you can use any of the addresses, and from a computer on the same subnet you can use either local or global IP.)

Personally, I run a testing server on my own computer, so I just use localhost. I also have virtual hosting set up with local.aliencollective.com and so forth — but there's no need to go to the work of setting things up like that in your case.

If you need help finding any of these addresses, just ask.

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If you need to find out your IP hit up Google and type in What's my ip address and you'll get some sites that can tell you.

For letting people access your site hosted on your machine you'll need to setup your router to forward port 80 (or which ever port Apache is using) to your machine. I use to do this when I started my web site. People will only be able to access the site while your machine is running as well.