Publicist for Metallica, Madonna and Green Day Joins Apple Music

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Brian Bumbery, a publicist who has worked with with Metallica, Green Day, Madonna, and Chris Cornell, has joined Apple, reports Variety. Bumbery ran his own press firm, BB Gun Press, before deciding to join Apple as a Director of Apple Music Publicity.

Bumbery's hiring comes as Jimmy Iovine, a key Apple Music executive, has completed his transition into a consulting role. Rumors suggested in March that Iovine would step back from daily involvement in Apple Music starting in August to spend more time with his family.

[​IMG]

Apple Music's new global head of music is Oliver Schusser, who was appointed to the position in April and reports directly to Eddy Cue.

Bumbery's BB Gun Press company has been working with Apple Music for "many months" according to Variety, so his hire has not come as a total surprise. Prior to starting BB Gun Press, Bumbery spent eight years at Warner Bros. Records.

Article Link: Publicist for Metallica, Madonna and Green Day Joins Apple Music

2. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Finally somebody who knows that there is more to music then rap & hip hop has joined Apple Music

3. Blackstick macrumors 6502a

Blackstick

These guys are so rich they never really work a Monday-Friday anyways.

4. 2010mini macrumors 601

You mean the guy that worked with U2, Bruce Springsteen, Patti Smith, Meat Loaf, Alison Moyet and a host of other artists? That’s the guy that doesn’t know music outside of rap????

Think you might want to research his legacy.

5. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

It's the users who stream hip-hop and rap the most. It is a priority because that's what people choose to stream and it is how they make money.

6. SurferPup, Aug 28, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018

SurferPup macrumors member

SurferPup

I would like several 'Beats' radio stations. Rename 'Beats 1' to 'Beats Rap' then add the major genres: 'Beats Rock', 'Beats Country', 'Beats Pop', 'Beats Classical', 'Beats Jazz'. Lucky last: 'Beats Club' for techno, trance, dance, electronic with segments for each decade and depending on the local time of day, faster tempo as sunset turns to evening and chillout tracks closer to sunrise. Relevant artists could host with Taylor Swift on air with 'Beats Country' and 'Beats Pop', Australian James Morrison and Emma Pask doing their comical jazz routine on 'Beats Jazz', Bruce Springsteen on 'Beats Rock' explaining the story behind his songs before playing them and Armin Van Buuren replaying the audio content of his concert the following night interjecting with what happened backstage, audience mood, temperature of the night and what the audience didn't see, on 'Beats Club'.

7. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

8. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

True for the US. Beats 1 and Apple Music are global actors though.

9. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Actually they do, just legally. Look at their site their are quite a lot of freebies.

10. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

They also sell soundboard bootlegs from every show.

11. Poontaco macrumors regular

You might want to reread his post.

12. SugeLite macrumors newbie

Jimmy was FILO for his whole career Sir!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 28, 2018 ---
    • Valid but Hip Hop, POP & EDM is what sells & drives streaming culture. Just like TV they start wih urban cheap programming & go braid after they have made money. Entertainment 101

13. lunarworks macrumors 68000

This new guy is in charge of publicity, people. Media relations, promotions and sponsorship, etc. He's not going to swoop in and take away all the hip-hop you hate so much.

14. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

The same Metallica that couldn't get played on the radio when starting out so they relied on people sharing cassettes of their early recordings to build a fan base and when they made it Lars Ulrich started saying "oh they are stealing from us"? Yeah that Metallica.

15. 2010mini macrumors 601

His post suggest Jimmy Iovine doesn’t know anything beyond rap/hip hop.

That would be false

16. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

Hmm, not in my world, they don't. Must be an US-American thing.

17. albusseverus macrumors 6502a

albusseverus

Like Apple Music needs more promotion. Fix the service. Can this new hire do that?

18. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Yes they do, I actually have collected them all so far. And since 2017 they have pretty much live album quality. Wish all my favorite bands did that.

19. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

ALLof them? :eek: Holy crap man. I just grab the ones I've been to, (like the upcoming show this fall) lol. Most of the bands I see anymore, I know the members on a personal level so I end up shooting their sets, but I'd love to be able to mix the soundboard audio into them.

20. Teammm macrumors member

Teammm

Let's be honest, the American music industry is the focus because it's the largest market and again where they make money. There are many other things featured on Apple Music. You just have to look.

21. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

If you have just one global service in your portfolio, it doesn't matter which subset is the biggest one in your market. You have to cover and hit the global intersections. I don't have the figures, if let's say > 50% worldwide daily users are located in the US, fair enough....but I doubt. A regional offerings, (e.g. US, Latin America, Europe, Asia, ...) would be the solution. That's my main point. But obviously the break-even of cost and potential revenue seems to high, or other features currently have priority (TV shows...?).

You're basically right on this in regards to Apple Music. But on Beats 1 there's of course no chance to influence the content, that's what most people around the world complain about.