Publisher on MacBook - help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ccrgt, May 7, 2016.

1. ccrgt macrumors regular

Hi I have been an apple girl for many years and have many of their products (and always have my eye on their newest). I have recently added a rMB to my apple family. I am a teacher and it is report-writing time so I was hoping to do my reports on my rMB - only problem is my report document is a Microsoft publisher file. I have been googling all morning and I still no closer to being able to view and edit and save my reports on my rMB and have had no luck with LibreOffice. I am happy to pay for an app if that would be best. I would appreciate your advice as I just have to start my reports

2. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

3. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but can only view files for 24 hours? I need way longer than that to do my reports. Am I doing it wrong?

4. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Out of curiosity, what results are you getting with importing or using Publisher files within LibreOffice? Their site specifically states they can work with that format.

5. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

I am finding it hard to work out. Hopefully
    I can be pointed in the right direction and just use an app or something

6. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

7. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

Great suggestion but I don't know how to do boot camp etc..

8. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

Got a trusting friend or family member with a PC and a copy of Microsoft Office (or perhaps get them a subscription to Office 365)? Get them to allow remote access to their machine using http://join.me and do work through their machine from yours.

9. TigerMSTR macrumors regular

Apple's instructions are here: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201468

There are also tons of tutorials online and on YouTube.

Very first thing you need to do is download Windows 10 though.
    --- Post Merged, May 7, 2016 ---
    By the way, if you install Windows 10 in Virtual Box (it's free) you can run both Windows and Mac OS X at the same time. If you use Boot Camp, you can use Windows or OS X, but not at the same time. Performance on Boot Camp will be faster, but might be less convenient for you.

10. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. I am not quite tech savvy enough to install Windows 10 or to remote access a Windows PC. I have tried to save the publisher file to pdf but it comes out looking different than the original. Is it worth me paying for an app that allows me to view/edit/save a publisher file on my rMB ?

11. Admiral macrumors regular

Admiral

Why not ask the author of the report template to deliver it to you in a format you can use? I do that all the time; I get a non-standard file format and go back to the author and say "Could you do me a favor and re-save as Microsoft Word .DOC so I can use it on my Mac?" Never had any pushback at all except from the Koreans.

12. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

Ooh good idea! I will try that at work tomorrow. Am thinking that the person who put it into Publisher format won't want top budge, but hey I can always ask.

13. crewkid89 macrumors regular

crewkid89

You really don't have to be very tech savvy to do this. The bootcamp assistant does pretty much all the work for you. The only question it really asks is how much space you want to devote to Windows. This is set with a sliding scale. From there you would have already had to have downloaded a disc image from Microsoft and then you select that file from Bootcamp Assistant. The mac will reboot itself, you go through the Windows Install and install the Bootcamp drivers. That gives you a nice button you can use to reboot back into OS X.

14. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

15. ccrgt thread starter macrumors regular

Wow thanks for that link I will go and check it out. As I would only need to access my publisher file for a month or so, that seems ideal yay