Publishing a web site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Bigyella, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Bigyella macrumors member

Guys, I am new at this. So Please be gentle with me! :D This may have been posted before, but I cannot find the answers I need. I just dont understand all the lingo?
    Anyway, I have built a website, using iweb. I am happy with the site, and I am now ready to publish it. I have bought a domain name, about 6 months ago, because I knew I was going to do this in the future. When I click on the publish tab, it directs me to "mobleme" to sign up, without any other options? I want to publish this on my own domain site, without going through mobleme? Does any of this make sense? Thanks in advance for any help you smart folks can provide! :eek:

2. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

That did not really help me. I am not looking to update from multiply computers? Also, I can not seem to find it, unless, I open the iweb again. There is nothing in my finder, that shows Domain? Thanks guys..

3. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

To publish it somewhere else other than MobileMe, you need a hosting account with another provider, not just a website domain. Once you have this, you need to export the files out of iWeb and put them up on that host's server associated with your domain, usually via FTP.

4. Bigyella, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

My problem is, that I cannot find the "publish to FTP" in iweb. When I click the publish tab, ONLY mobile me is coming up. It give me a prompt to try it free for 60 days. When I click no thanks, it just closes, without other options. :confused:

Nevermind.. I figured it out! dummy me!

5. zlinuk macrumors member

If your using iweb '08 you will need to publish the site files to a local folder and then ftp them from there to your domain using an ftp client of your own choosing.

In iweb '09 you can ftp directly from iweb to your own domain.

6. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I am using the 09 version. Another question for you. I bought my domain name, about 6 months ago, from scratchspace. The site is down for maintenance. It has been for a while. Is that site, my hosting site? Or can I choose any hosting site, now that I have my domain name? Thanks Again:D

7. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

you may want to transfer your domain to another hosting company ... any respectable hosting firm would have next to zero downtime ... more like 99.9% up time :cool:

8. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Yes, But how do I change if I cant even log in? Or, is this even a hosting company at all? Did they just sell me a domain, and I can choose my own hosting company? Or what? If I choose a different company, can I log into my domain, through that company? Thanks

9. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I will give you an example of a quality hosting company here in Canada, even though I do not use them myself (I know they are very solid) ... you can browse around their site and see what I mean by quality hosting.

http://www.netfirms.com

plus any solid company should be able to help you transfer your domain

10. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

You are MISSING my point! IS Scratchspace even a hosting company??? And if they are, how could I possibly transfer my domain, if I cant even log in with them? I have found hundreds, of great hosting sites today alone. But I bought this 6 months ago? I paid 30 dollars, for 2 years, of the domain name. Nothing else,, no hosting fee, or anything like that.

Okay, lets say I go with the link you provided? Can I access my domain page, using the username, and password, that I used, when I bought the site? Or is that locked to scratchspace? I am not going to sign up with another company, until, I KNOW, I can get free of scratchspace. Thanks again.

11. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Bigyella ... I am going to send you a PM on who seems to own Scratchspace Inc. (it has a name address and email for them)

I do not know who they are ... do a whois search on your own domain name you purchased from scratchspace and see who has control over it.

I am just trying to help you as you seem a little green on this Web publishing.

good luck

12. Bigyella thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your Help.. And yes, I am Green! LOL:D