Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I've been trying forever to upload my ical's to an ftp server I have. There is an option to change from .mac to "private server". So I put in my ftp address and name and password. It says it did it. But no matter how I try to access the file, via ftp or http, ical says its invalid. And via an ftp program it says the file is "empty". Reporting 0k filesize. It appears that ical is not actually publishing jack squat to the server. Does anyone know how to actually use this feature in ical?

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Thats an interesting protocol, but didn't help. Actually, it is supposed to be able to automatically update to an ftp server. The automatic updateing is a must.

What I don't get is why they include the private server thing, when the function is so obviously broken.

atari1356

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2004
jared_kipe said:
Thats an interesting protocol, but didn't help. Actually, it is supposed to be able to automatically update to an ftp server. The automatic updateing is a must.

What I don't get is why they include the private server thing, when the function is so obviously broken.

I could be wrong, but doesn't automatic updating require a web server that has WebDAV installed on it?

Here's an article that has some more info.

Not sure if that helps you any...

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
jared_kipe said:

I never said anything about automatically updating the calendar. For that you need .Mac or a WebDAV enabled server.

I'm doing this manually. (Export from iCal. Upload to my regular server. Make link from my website). :)

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
I never said anything about automatically updating the calendar. For that you need .Mac or a WebDAV enabled server.

I'm doing this manually. (Export from iCal. Upload to my regular server. Make link from my website). :)
I know. My schedules change so freaking fast that that would require too much time from me. I think anyway. Thanks though.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
YAY after a long time of configuration, I have successfully gotten phpicalendar to work with my server. Not only does it let ical "publish" to my server by tricking it into thinking it is a webdav server, it also lets you view them online easily.

phpicalendar.net

Apple should really really allow you to upload stuff to a normal FTP server though. NOBODY uses WebDAV apple, get over it.

croshtique

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2005
Cambridge, UK
Mitthrawnuruodo said:

This macosxhint tells how to use Automator workflow to re-upload the iCal file to a regular server whenever you want.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
jared_kipe said:
I know. My schedules change so freaking fast that that would require too much time from me. I think anyway. Thanks though.

that's what Automator is for! you can easily make a workflow that will upload your changed calendar to your server via FTP with a single click.

*EDIT: oops, didn't see the post directly above mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.