Publishing iOS apps on legacy hardware?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by tooFast, Jul 8, 2013.

1. tooFast macrumors newbie

Hey guys. First off, I would post this on the apple dev forums, but I don't have a paid account and can't.

So I'm relatively new to developing on iOS. I've been learning C++ for a year, and have been more recently learning objective-C.

My question is, if my Macbook is not capable of running Xcode 5, will I still be able to push an app to the App Store using the latest version of Xcode 4.x? Or am I totally screwed into having to buy a more recent macbook?

I understand that I will not be able to take advantage of iOS 7. But again, will I still be able to push apps to the App Store that users of iOS 7 will be able to run?

Thanks for your help.

2. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Up until Apple requests developers submit iOS 7 apps (which based on historical beta patterns, is still about 1.5-2 months away), what you have right now will certainly be adequate.

Afterwards... well, who can say what Apple's plans are afterwards. Since you're just learning now, I wouldn't worry about it until you're close to actually releasing something.

3. tooFast thread starter macrumors newbie

So what I'm getting here is that in about 2 months it will be impossible to publish iOS apps without the iOS 7 SDK & Xcode 5?

Is that how it worked with the move from iOS 4 to iOS 5?

4. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I imagine some apps that are built for iOS6 will run just fine on iOS7.

5. firewood macrumors 604

iOS 2 SDK apps were allowed until after iOS 4 was released 2 years later. iOS SDK 3 apps were allowed (for App store submission) until almost a year after iOS 6 was released, 3+ years later. iOS 6 SDK has been required only since May 1st. I doubt that they will deprecate it in less than a year.

If you are in the developer program, you can try your iOS 6 apps on the iOS7 beta to see if they will run. Most run just fine, or with only minor problems.