Publishing iWeb site to Net

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JSMencer, Jan 30, 2008.

1. JSMencer macrumors regular

I am trying to publish my web site i made on iWeb to the net, not to a .mac account. I have tried a program called w2w, and easy iWeb publisher. Is there an easy program i can use to upload this site easily. I have no clue what i am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Mitou macrumors regular

A couple of nice programs
    transmit or cyberduck

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Once you publish your iWeb site to a folder you should just be able to dump that folder on your web server via FTP.

You don't need anything fancy to "export" your site from iWeb. Just select "File" then "Publish to a folder" and pick a location. This will give you a folder with your entire website inside (in subfolders). This is everything you need to send to your webserver.

You should be able to use any FTP to get it to your webserver. I use Fetch when I have to FTP stuff (though I use .Mac for my actual website).

You're probably having an issue with either uploading to the right directory on your host / virtual webserver (if you're on a virtual webserver, you might need to upload to a SUBfolder on your server like /yourusername08765489/uploadhere/ ,not the root).

or...

with uploading your published set of folders from the correct starting point (I believe iWeb puts your website IN a folder like "Documents:Websites:web:site", and you're supposed to upload the folder located one level down (site), not the first level (web), IIRC.

However, those are just guesses because you didn't give us much to go on in your OP. What happens when you try to access your site in a browser? Do you see something, but not what you expected? Is it returning a 404 error?Are there any error messages during transfer? Are you trying to access your site using a domain name, or are you going to it via an IP address? Is your name setup OK (if you're using a domain name)... has it been working previously?

4. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

ok my website is sonsice.com
    I have my domain name, and everything ok, and I used cyberduck, the transfer went through ok, but nothing is showing up on my computer. I dont know what it could be. If i build a page in dreamweaver it shows up, but iWeb is so much easier to use.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Are you uploading your site to the correct folder of your web server? It's not always the root, it may need to go in a subfolder.

6. erikpmort macrumors regular

erikpmort

yes you're close just a small learning curve here...

1) make your iweb website

2) publish site to a folder

3) get cyberduck and login correctly (i use sitesled)

4) drag the folder CONTENTS not the folder itself into the cyberduck

5) QUACK you're done

6) buy a cheap domain name a godaddy.com if you want one, its nice

7. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for everything. I'll have to try it again.

8. JSMencer thread starter macrumors regular

i got it to work.
    www.sonsice.com
    the first line of code that iweb wrote made my pages blank. I opened the page in dreamweaver and deleted that line, uploaded the site, and wha la. It worked. Its not complete, but you can take a look at it if you want. I was wondering if i can look at the code to delete that line in iweb but people are saying you cant look at the code