Publishing two websites from one iWeb program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JeremyShane, Mar 4, 2008.

1. JeremyShane macrumors newbie

I have searched the forums and the internet and have not had luck finding the answer to my question.

I maintain a website for myself on .mac using iweb and my friend asked me to design a site for her as well on iweb. She has set up her own .mac account, but I cannot figure out how to get it to publish to her account.

I selected new site when I set up her section, but iweb automatically puts it into my .mac site when I publish.

I thought there was a way to sign out of your .mac in iweb because I have needed to log in before to upload a new publishing change. So I thought if I could log out and log into hers then it would upload to hers. But I also wondered if it would upload both sites to hers like it has to mine.

I hope this is not confusing. But I can't figure out how to get this to work. Certainly apple would anticipate someone using iweb for more than one site?

can anyone help?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Does .mac support ftp upload (I assume it does).

In which case "Publish to a folder..." which will create the necessary files on your computer and upload the website to her .mac account via ftp, or perhaps onto her idisk.

Sorry I don't know much/if anything about how .mac works.

3. JeremyShane thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    I don't know much about the whole ftp thing you are talking about, but at least it is something I can read up on and figure out since the normal way isn't working for me.

4. Mitou macrumors regular

.mac uses webdav and does not support ftp. But if you are logged in into an account all you have to do is drag your folder to the idisk.

I found that the best way to handle this kind of problem is to set up a second user account on the mac and edit the second website from this user account you can then publish with one click and it will go to the right place.

5. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

I'd use a program like iWebSites and do the site, save it, and then have her open it on her Mac and upload it from there. Another option (and I'm not sure if this will actually work, more of a hypothesis) is to set up a new account on your Mac design the site and marry that account with her .mac account until you have everything set up and then just delete the account.

6. atsang macrumors member

Simple

Easy. No 3rd party software needed.

Go to user/library/application support/iWeb/
    Copy and paste your current domain file
    Rename the copy
    Drag the iWeb folder to the dock so you can have easy access. Or create aliases from the two domain files you have now

To use your different domains, just open the actual domain file. All changes will be independent of the other domain files.

7. PhilW macrumors newbie

Good answer

atsang,

Thanks for that. I've been pulling my hair out trying to solve this problem.

One word of warning. Next time you open iWeb from the dock you will find a blank template with no sign of your lovingly designed family website, which scared me half to death! You have to open it from wherever you cut & pasted it to. Simple really.

Phil

8. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Definitely +1 on iWebSites- a great little free companion to iWeb. No need for extra sites in the dock or anything like that- and IMO an essential when you are dealing with 6 iWeb sites like I do! ;)