Puke Yellow Viewing Angles

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MediaRyan, Feb 29, 2008.

1. MediaRyan macrumors member

I am sorely tempted to get a Macbook Pro. However, as is the case with any substantial purchase, I am stopped dead in my tracks by a seemingly insurmountable flaw.

Does anyone else notice the blatant and idiotic puke yellow color the newer Macbook Pro screens adopt when you aren't lined up exactly with the screen...straight on? I don't know if it is the entire screen, or just some colors, like the grey that a lot of applications and OSX uses...

Obviously I won't see it when I'm working on the machine itself. But what about when I am showing things to a client, or photos or videos to classmates or family in a living room?

Any MBP users notice this and have either advice or words of comfort? (or warning?)

2. hohohong macrumors 6502

Wanted to know too,.... but people here are sensitive about Yellow LED

I wanted to post this long time ago,..... but people will start bitching at me.

Main reason i'm not switching yet is coz of the yellowish that you described....especially the gray color when looking from the side.

I was hoping that this latest batch will have that problem fixed.

I noticed that the Air has that issue too,.....

Anyone with the new MBP,.... please share.... cheers!

3. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

Download an icc calibration file that people have posted here and elsewhere (taken with professional calibration hardware) and you won't have the issue any longer...

4. MediaRyan thread starter macrumors member

The yellowish color change caused by viewing angle can be resolved with a software workaround?

Any ideas on why Apple ships new computers without this "calibrated?"

5. PDE macrumors 68020

It doesn't really remove the yellow hue completely, but it does reduce it . All notebook displays have poor viewing angles in which colors are distorted. The difference between the current led lcds and past ones is that the distortion is yellow whereas before it was cooler or just inverted. Anyway, the display profiles help a lot so give it a try at the local store to see if it satisfies you.

6. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

7. cohibadad macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

is this an LED problem? I don't have any yellow from the side of my non-LED MBP or my LED MBA.

8. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

my air also is great think it just the MBP. some people have had them replaced over 4 times

9. lekun macrumors regular

It is hard to tell with a picture of screen being viewed on another screen, but your MBP screen appeared to have a yellow cast throughout. Which is a calibration problem. The blues were a warmer hue and the whites were a warmer hue, in my opinion, than the MB, and it was uniform.

Again, hard to see but the real yellow LED problem is when it noticeably effects one area of the screen, not the whole screen. Whole screen color shifts can be changed with good calibration.

10. MediaRyan thread starter macrumors member

My friend's MBP and others I remember seeing all seemed to have this yellow viewing angle thing. I don't mind slightly cooler colors or I can accept that it might get inverted at an extreme angle...but turn yellow?!

I just looked at my brother's $600 Dell Vostro and the thing has zero color distortion from the side....it gets slightly less bright and then starts to invert at a more extreme side angle. This thing is 1/3 to 1/4 the cost of a MBP and doesn't turn yellow.

Any ideas of why this seems to be a phenomenon on such an expensive machine from Apple? Is it just the type of screens they get from suppliers?

Or is it a type of screen technology (LED?) that has that viewing angle characteristic but has benefits such as increased battery life and no mercury or something?

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

compared to other PC laptops screen,
    the MBP is so so so far ahead!
    i'm comapring it with the majority like gateway, HP toshiba, dell etc

if there's a competitor that can be close to an MBP screen i'd say it's SONY

12. MediaRyan thread starter macrumors member

13. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

sorry, i think i was typing when your post got posted..

14. MediaRyan thread starter macrumors member

Ah...my bad.

Yeah, well. It seems like this may be one of those topics that is taboo. I have 2 friends at work with Macbook Pros.

Both love them. One of them readily points out the tremendous specs and features while also admitting things that might be done better.

The other is incapable of ever criticizing anything Apple. Simply due to the brand, it is superior to all else in his mind.

Hopefully a lack of substantive response indicates this isn't a big issue for most MBP owners, which would be good news for me....and hopefully isn't due to friend #2 style silence. :)

15. haner macrumors newbie

MediaRyan... I have a Santa Rosa MBP (15.4 LED), and yeah it also has the yellow tint when viewing from an angle (not even a very big angle). I was initially really peeved by it; when I leave my computer on my desk and sit on the couch, my laptop screen is yellow! I've just learned to live with it.

For $2000 that's a mighty bummer though. MBP's are nice machines, but definitely overrated. The only reason I haven't sold mine is because I like OS X. If it wasn't for the OS X, you can get a PC laptop with similar specs and build quality for about half the cost if you look for discounts. The whole "Apple has good build quality" meme is also highly doubtful. From my experience, no more so than a Sony, and far less than a Thinkpad. Actually I take that back, Sony's screens are much better. As I understand it, most of the world's laptops are built in a factory in Shanghai anyway, including Macs.

16. hohohong macrumors 6502

Have you put a sony LED side by side with MBP LED? Does all LED have that yellow tint issue?

17. teazen macrumors newbie

This is form poor view-angle of the panel. It is a hardware issue. Software calibration can not solve it!!

18. greenmeanie macrumors 6502a

greenmeanie

Mine went back and they punished me with a 200.00 restocking fee ***** apple!

19. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

i like the yellow tint, i color corrected to make it better, but went back to the original a few days later