Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerrh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
Stupid me dropped my calculator on the lid of my Powerbook and now it's got a decent dent in it. Is there anything that can suck out the dent? How do they pull out dents in car doors? I'm thinking the same thing might be able to be done here.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
millerrh said:
Stupid me dropped my calculator on the lid of my Powerbook and now it's got a decent dent in it. Is there anything that can suck out the dent? How do they pull out dents in car doors? I'm thinking the same thing might be able to be done here.

Aluminum is a big different than your car doors, in this case, once it's dented, it's dented.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
millerrh said:
How do they pull out dents in car doors? I'm thinking the same thing might be able to be done here.

Well, first you drill a hole through the metal in the deepest part of the dent, then you put a strong "L" shaped hook into the hole and pop the dent out, then you use a hammer to gently tap the raised edge of the hole below the plane of the surface, then use body filler to fill in the small depression, sand, repeat, prime, paint, done! Personally, I wouldn't try it, but if you do let us know how it turns out! :D

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
If you're not afraid to take your PowerBook apart, you could remove the LCD from the inside of the lid and attempt to press the dent out against a flat/hard surface. Denting metal actually stretches it slightly, so it will never look quite the same, but it shouldn't be too hard to at least make it less noticeable.

If all else fails, though, feel free to break out the Bondo ;)

qtip919

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2002
millerrh said:

Its alot less risky to just get on ebay and look for a new lid...be patient, someone is always dumping one for a decent price

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.