Pull the trigger on a 13" C2D??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimharris99, Aug 12, 2010.

  1. jimharris99 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #1
    Pretty much decided on the 13" CD2.

    Microcenter has a deal where right now they are $999 brand new.

    I figure I can get applecare on amazon for $200 (vs. $250 from apple).

    Now just can't decide when to buy. It'll be a birthday present, so it'll be purchased before Sept. 1st. Just not sure if I should buy now, or wait incase there are any announcements about iLife '11.

    Just saw the post though today about the rumored iPod event now mid Sept.....so maybe not worth it anymore to wait and I should just buy now?

    Just wanted to see what you all think.

    Thanks!!!
     
  2. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    #2
    price probably not gonna change... If you want it for the 1st wait a few days and see what happens, but I don't think we are going to hear much between now and sep 1st. Or just get it and enjoy.
     
  3. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    #3
    First, is this MacBook or MacBook pro?

    1) Log onto the apple site, choose the education store (they never really verify, say you are a student or buying for your kid and they'll never check):

    http://store.apple.com/us_edu_492808/browse/home/findyourschool?mco=MTY1NTI0ODI

    2) Get macbook for $950, or MacBook Pro 13 inch for $1100.

    3) Add things like extra ram or bigger hard drive (at decent prices with edu discount)

    4) Get apple care for $183

    5) Get a free ipod of your choosing.

    6) Enjoy!
     
  4. thewireman macrumors regular

    thewireman

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Michigan
    #4
    Plus free printer!
     
  5. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #5
    Should have clarified...sorry.

    It's the macbook pro. I think I priced it out using the education store that going the education route would be about $100 more than going the microcenter/amazon route. Then you could say I'd be getting a second gen iPod touch for $100, which isn't a bad deal...just not sure if I really need one. I actually already have one as I got a 24" iMac via the summer college promo 2 years ago (during my MBA)......so we'd have a original touch and a 2nd gen one.....

    I know I know.....go the education route and then sell the touch :)

    Thanks for the input. The $999 deal from microcenter is good I believe through the end of this month, so if everyone thinks the iLife '11 rumor announcement for next Tuesday is a bust, I might as well just get it now....although next Tuesday isn't too far away.

    Thanks!
     
  6. breathesrain macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2010
  7. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #7
    I did....turns out the difference is actually about $130 more if I go the education route....since I'd pay the tax on the iPod and the printer....

    So basically I'd be saving $70 if I wanted a 2nd gen iPod touch. I'd get a $100 epson printer out of it too....don't really need another printer though.


    Decisions decisions
     
  8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

    DewGuy1999

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #8
    FYI: According to the Micro Center sales circular the price is effective through August 15, 2010. They've been doing this $999 price since this generation MacBook Pro was released in April and they keep extending it, whether they'll do it again is anyone's guess.
     
  9. PeterQVenkman macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    #9
    Go with microcenter! You don't need the extra stuff an $100 is money that can be spent elsewhere, like a ram upgrade in the future.
     
  10. tonywang.xmpt macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #10
    Well it'll be a good purchase no doubt,
    but the thing is,
    Intel has confirmed to discontinue the core 2 due.
    Eventually,
    apple will slowly move into the i3, i5, and i7 series.

    I recently purchased my new MBP
    and I went with the i5.

    Its all personal preferences.
    Just keep in mind of the possibility
    that the core2duo will slowly disappear.
     
  11. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #11
    Pulled the trigger

    Got is yesterday. Thanks for the input.

    Understand the CD2 will go away.....doesn't everything though?

    :D


    Messed around with it last night. Pretty happy.

    Now I bet there will be new macbook pro line updates next week and ilife '11 all on the same day....hahahah.


    thanks.
     
  12. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

    DewGuy1999

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #12
    Congratulations! I'd be quite surprised if Apple updates the Core2Duo MacBook Pros in the near future. I noticed yesterday that a deal site had this AppleCare listed on sale for $169.00 + shipping through August 17th if you're interested:

    ExperCom.com: AppleCare for MacBook / MacBook Air / MacBook Pro 13"
     
  13. jimharris99 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2009
    #13
    Interesting....that's a good deal.

    I've never heard of this place.

    Anyone else had experience with them?

    Thanks!
     
  14. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

    DewGuy1999

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2009
    #14
    I've never ordered from them, but I have heard that they are reputable. They're also an Apple Authorized Reseller, an Apple Specialist and an Apple Authorized Service Provider. As well as an internet presence they also have 2 brick & mortar stores in Utah.
     
  15. Les1 macrumors newbie

    Les1

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2010
    #15
    Apple Store matched Micro Center

    Apple Store in Oak Brook, IL matched the Micro Center's price.
     
  16. npropes macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2010
    #16
    They have two stores near me in Atlanta. I've bought two MacBook Pro's under their $999 discount for friends and they've both worked great.

    They also have the Mid-2009 17" MacBook Pro left at some store for $1499 (might be $1599 I can't recall).
     

Share This Page