Pull to Refresh Question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by RagingGoat, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RagingGoat macrumors 6502

I had an app rejected recently because of my pull to refresh functionality. Apple said that I was mimicking their functionality and that I either had to remove it or change it. I asked them if they could elaborate on it but they never responded. I ended up taking it out and it got approved but I'd like to add it back. Does anyone here have any idea why they would have rejected the app for this? Here is my pull to refresh code:

Code:
    -(void)refreshView:(UIRefreshControl *)refresh
    {
        refresh.attributedTitle = [[NSAttributedString alloc] initWithString:@"Refreshing data..."];

// custom refresh logic would be placed here...

NSDateFormatter *formatter = [[NSDateFormatter alloc] init];
        [formatter setDateFormat:@"MMM d, h:mm a"];
        NSString *lastUpdated = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"Last updated on %@",[formatter stringFromDate:[NSDate date]]];
        refresh.attributedTitle = [[NSAttributedString alloc] initWithString:lastUpdated];
        [refresh endRefreshing];
    }

This is in the viewDidLoad method.

Code:
    UIRefreshControl *refresh = [[UIRefreshControl alloc] init];
    refresh.attributedTitle = [[NSAttributedString alloc] initWithString:@"Pull to Refresh"];
    [refresh addTarget:self action:@selector(refreshView:)forControlEvents:UIControlEventValueChanged];
    self.refreshControl = refresh;

2. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you point me to the apple documentation for the standard?

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

4. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a uitableviewcontroller. What exactly is different in the ios 6 way of implementing it compared to how I did it? It's still just UIRefreshControl.

5. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

I cant really see why this was rejected in the first place. To me it looks like your using the apple RefreshControl.

6. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. I'm really bothered by the fact that they never responded to me when I asked for clarification. That's why I'm here trying to figure out why they would have rejected it.

7. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

I've sent Apple a message asking if they can elaborate about the original rejection. I will let everyone here know what they tell me.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Good luck with that!

I was recently rejected for using Game Center in a non-game app: "your app does not contain any game play or game features". I asked them to clarify what they meant by "game play or game features" and they responded with a non-answer of: "In order to be in compliance with 6.4, apps that use Game Center must be game apps. It would be appropriate to remove Game Center from your application." Grr...

9. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I know it's a long shot but I'm out of options at this point because as far as I can tell, I'm implementing it the correct way.

10. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you tried filing an appeal?

11. RagingGoat thread starter macrumors 6502

I filed an appeal for the first rejection I got from them which was because they didn't think the app was useful enough and that's when they came back and said they were reversing the rejection based on that and instead rejected it because of the pull to refresh. At the time I wasn't too upset about it so I just removed it because it really wasn't a big deal to me but now I want it in there. I may submit an update with it in there to see what happens.

12. chown33 macrumors 604

May I ask what the non-game app did?

Maybe it's just an issue of app description. For example, a fitness app with competitive scoring and achievements could be described as "fitness gamification" or "competitive fitness", where the use of certain words and context emphasizes the social multiplayer game-like nature of the app.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

It was an update to my a.k.a. name-generator app. I wanted to add achievements for users finding special name combinations. I figured since Mini Collector was using achievements to track collectibles, I could try something similar. Seems Apple disagreed. I was reluctant but fine with removing the Game Center functionality but quite put off by the review team refusing to clarify what they deemed as "game play or game features" and what constitutes a "game app".