Pulled External HD to floor...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by swindmill, Aug 6, 2007.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

My PowerBook died a few weeks ago, but luckily I had everything backed up to my WD My Book drive. Unfortunately, yesterday I had that plugged into my laptop that is running Ubuntu and I picked up the pc with the drive plugged in and it fell to the floor. I plugged it back into the pc and it mounted on the desktop and the files were still there. Today, I tried it again and it didn't mount. It seems to spin up for a minute or so and then it just stops. I don't have a Mac to try it on right now. Is there any chance it will still mount in OS X? If not, what am looking at to save all of my data?

EDIT: Just tried it on a Mac and it doesn't even show up in Disk Utility. If anyone can explain my options to me at this point, I would greatly appreciate it.

2. russell.h macrumors regular

You could pay someone hundreds/thousands of dollars for data recovery, you could take apart the external drive and get the actual hard drive out of it and find out whether it was just the enclosure that broke (if the drive wasn't spinning when it fell then theres a moderate chance that the drive itself is ok, otherwise I wouldn't want to bet on it), or you could just give it up for lost.

Those are the main options that come to mind, sorry I can't think of something a bit more encouraging.

3. Royale w/cheese macrumors 6502a

4. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I will definitely try that. If it doesn't work, I could use it to get the music off of my AppleTV drive anyways