Pulled The Lightning Cable During Photo Transfer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by quovadis0302, Apr 11, 2018.

1. quovadis0302 macrumors newbie

My wife wanted to back up her photos in her iPhone so I opened Photos and started importing new photos. After I bathed the baby, I went back to my Mac and realized the iPhone was no longer there. My wife "assumed" the photo transfer was complete and pulled the lightning cable without asking me. Photos and iTunes weren't responsive so I ended up rebooting the whole system. I got an error message when I attempted to reopen Photos program... the message was "The library "Photos Library" could not be opened because it is a read-only volume. Please copy it to a different volume and open that copy." I copied the library to to another hard drive in fourth bay, but all I see is an empty library. I suspect my wife bricked the Photo Library because she pulled the cord in the middle of file transfer. The question is,

Is there any way to recover this library?

Of course, me being dumb, didn't have a time machine to restore... I still see the library in the same hard drive but I get a same error message that it's a read-only volume. Any help or guidance is welcome. Thank you.

2. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

"Of course, me being dumb, didn't have a time machine to restore..."

I suggest you:
    1. Get an external USB3 drive
    2. Download either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper (both are FREE to download and try for 30 days)
    3. Create a bootable cloned backup of your internal drive.
    4. Once a week, connect the backup and do an "incremental update" of your clone.

Do this, and you will be protected against predicaments, such as the one you're in now.

3. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68030

Mr_Brightside_@

Can you right click the (original?) library and Show Package Contents?