Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
I saw a 2014 3.0GHz i7 with a 512 SSD on refurb a couple nights ago and ordered it. Really hoping like some refurbs it was a BTO/CTO with 16GB and it wasn't listed. They don't always list the RAM improvement and you just get it. I am a believer in RAM and am replacing a late-2013 iMac 3.2GHz Quad-Core i5 with
24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, a 256GB SSD, and a GeForce GT 755M 1GB GPU.

Why would I do this? ... Well, I mainly use our iMac for a iTunes server/iPad and iPhone content sync and then apps like iPhoto/Photos, Quicken, Safari, Mail, DEVONthink, etc. Nothing too high end. Most serious graphics draw is if I watch a movie on it (rare) or Sling because my wife has tied up the main TV.

- However, I work from home more and more and need two screens. I am getting a new Dell laptop for work which I use QuickBooks Enterprise and Office primarily but need screen real estate for spreadsheets, emails, and accounting software. I use 2 24" screens at work. My plan is to hook the Mini up to a Dell / LG / or Samsung 21:9 34" Ultrawide at 3440x1440 and have that available for my Dell laptop as well.

Questions:

1. I have ready the Mini can push the 3440x1440 even at 60Hz. Any issues?

2. For my uses will there be any performance issues that I will notice going from my Quad-Core iMac to the Dual Core Mini? Do I want the i7 I ordered for the screen and to make up for the downgrade?

3. Do I return the Mini if it doesn't have 16GB? I like to keep it running and when I do use it, I like to have a lot of apps and browser tabs open without managing my usage.

4. Any other issues I should consider?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
It won't have 16GB, the RAM on the 2014 is soldered to the board so each RAM capacity will have a different logic board.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
It won't have 16GB, the RAM on the 2014 is soldered to the board so each RAM capacity will have a different logic board.
MacBook Airs also have soldered RAM, I know people have ordered Refurbs that arrived with more RAM than stock and than was advertised because Apple threw all refurbs of that CPU speed and drive capacity into the same online listing regardless of whether the original purchaser had opted to increase the RAM or not.

It is quite possible that some of the 3.0 i7 machines with 512 SSDs were built to order with 16GB, and are being sold by Apple under this listing.

My point was if it has only 8GB, is it worth keeping. For my usage am I better of ordering a Mini with 16GB but only a 2.6 or 2.8, in which case I would probably opt for a 256 SSD.

I was also curious about other performance aspects of this potential setup, especially coming from a quad-core iMac.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
My point was if it has only 8GB, is it worth keeping.

Only you can answer that. Check your memory utilization during a typical use case. If you've run out and you are paging to HDD/SDD, then you don't have enough. If you see plenty of memory that is free or cached, then you are fine.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Only you can answer that. Check your memory utilization during a typical use case. If you've run out and you are paging to HDD/SDD, then you don't have enough. If you see plenty of memory that is free or cached, then you are fine.

Um. Those who have 2014 Minis with 8GB can weight in as to how the performance is. That is what I was hoping. Yes we all use our Macs a little differently but I would value someone's real world experience.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Couldn't you have just plugged the monitor into your iMac and then had the benefit of it and a 27" screen?

I don't think I'd give up the iMac for a limited and still old Mac mini
I think that my iMac is certainly underutilized but am still a little concerned about the Mini capacity and performance. However, while I love the sound of your suggestion, I simply don't want to have that much screen space occupying my desk. My iMac is wall mounted, the my widescreen will be too in its place. And I like a clean setup. Having those two different screens side by side isn't that great looking aesthetically.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Um. Those who have 2014 Minis with 8GB can weight in as to how the performance is. That is what I was hoping. Yes we all use our Macs a little differently but I would value someone's real world experience.

Nobody has weighed in yet, and I thought it would be helpful to point out you could know for sure with your own actual real world experience.

What is the "um" for? Usually in written form that would be to belittle someone. I was trying to help.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
Nobody has weighed in yet, and I thought it would be helpful to point out you could know for sure with your own actual real world experience.

What is the "um" for? Usually in written form that would be to belittle someone. I was trying to help.
I can certainly look at the memory usage on my iMac which has 24GB RAM. I thought I'd get some answers from Mac Mini owners as to how well 8GB suits them or if they wish they had or are glad they opted for 16GB.

I feel a little nervous going from the iMac to the Mini. In favor of the Mini is that I probably don't use my 3.2Ghz Quad that heavily. However, while I would opt for the addition of the 34" Ultrawide without changing computers, I don't want to have the iMac and the Ultrawide on my desk and I need that monitor to connect to mine and my wife's work laptops.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
ActionableMango is right. As long as you don't give us your use case, there's no point in telling our experiences. My Mac Mini runs Plex and iTunes just fine with 4GB RAM, but I don't see how that would in any way help you unless you plan to run the same software.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 11, 2005
ActionableMango is right. As long as you don't give us your use case, there's no point in telling our experiences. My Mac Mini runs Plex and iTunes just fine with 4GB RAM, but I don't see how that would in any way help you unless you plan to run the same software.
Well, I mainly use our iMac for a iTunes server/iPad and iPhone content sync and then apps like iPhoto/Photos, Quicken, Safari, Mail, DEVONthink, etc. Nothing too high end. Most serious graphics draw is if I watch a movie on it (rare) or Sling because my wife has tied up the main TV. I like to have a lot of Safari windows and tabs open.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
The amount of RAM is always listed on the Apple refurb store from what I've seen. Call Apple to find out or check your support profile as it may already be listed under your devices. Then you could call them with the serial number and they should be able to look it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.