Pulled the trigger.. MBA13 8gb ram ordered

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmichael99, Aug 17, 2012.

1. jmichael99 macrumors member

1 year no interest.
    First mac. Hope i dont regret it lol

what really through me over was how crappy windows8 is.

I only have a 128gb harddrive for now. I will upgrade it later.. and i have network storage anyway.

Any apps or programs that i should get when i first get my new macbook? I already have a few in mind but just wants to see what others have to say to make life easier

im looking forward to not having to re install the OS out of the box to get rid of bloatware...

2. plucky duck macrumors 6502

128GB should be fine if you're not dual booting and have easy access to your media store on the network. Even if you store your media on a 32/64GB USB/SD stick it's still fast enough and convenient enough to use on the road if you don't want to carry with you an external hard drive.

Enjoy your new toy :)

3. iJustinCabral macrumors member

iJustinCabral

First off...Congrats! I just got my 13inch 128ssd/8gb RAM model in today, and its amazing.

With the back to school $100 gift card i bought...

-Pages
    -Pixelmator (A simplified Photoshop)
    -Core Data Editor (for iOS Programming)
    -1Password ***A must have****
    -Multi Monitor Wallpaper
    -Day One (journal app)

Everyone is different, what do you plan on using the comp for and I can give you a better list of apps to grab.

4. Hawkeye16 macrumors regular

Congrats! You will love it. If you do want to run windows at all or another OS I would very highly recommend Parallels 7. I use it mainly for work stuff though.

Otherwise most of the applications people use come standard. I like the iStats application to keep track of everything but definitely not a necessity.

5. stchman macrumors 6502a

Apple does not include any trial bloatware. For what they charge, they better not.

TinkerTool - App that allows you to tweak settings in OS X that aren't readily available.

Monolingual - Remove all the un-necessary language packs installed in OS X.

LibreOffice - FOSS replacement for MS Office.

VLC - Media player that plays pretty much any audio or video file.

XCode with CL tool, Java, Netbeans - If you plan on doing any development.

TextWrangler - Good GUI based text editor.

These are just a few, you will find more.

6. WesCole macrumors 6502a

7. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Same configuration I have: 13/8/128. I went with 128 after 1) looking at how much space was left on my iMac after four years and 2) realizing how much I already use Dropbox as a hard drive of sorts.

Evernote is handy for syncing notes across multiple laptops, tablets and phones, including ones running Android and Windows.

Enjoy.

8. jmoore5196 macrumors 6502a

jmoore5196

I can only echo the congratulations of others ... and if this is your first Mac, you'll likely remember the day it arrives for a long time to come!

Best wishes and enjoy your Air.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Greetings and Welcome to the Forum :)

Here's a great page, full of terrific info that's useful for new Mac users and others who may enjoy a refresher.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Mac_Beginner's_Guide

Cheers...

10. BigP macrumors newbie

I will Pile on here as well!

My new MBA is waiting for me @ home. My son just signed for it from UPS. Also have never owned a MAC before. Hopefully he has not sat on it....

Went with the 13" MBA 8g Ram & the I7 with the 256 GB HD.

Hope its Awesome!

11. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

Never owned a mac before? What a treat for your first mac experience
    For me its like having a bucatti veyron as your first car :D

12. cirial, Aug 17, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2012

cirial macrumors regular

Congrats on the order. My air I ordered on Sunday, its a 13/8gb/128ssd just arrived today... First mac computer also! Between my wife and I we have an iPad and iPhones.. I've been a long time PC builder. Just put together an ivy bridge desktop.

I have to say that this really a well designed piece of technology. So much better than any other laptop I've had on the PC side. My wife pushed me into it, as I was a bit apprehensive, but I think this was a great buy :D

Undecided on what I'll do with my $100 gift card yet.

13. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

They sell for $80-85 in the Marketplace if you want to try to sling it. If I end up not getting my bestbuy deal on the 13" base, I'll be getting 8gb ram from Apple and selling the giftcard.

14. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

Congrats!!!! I am happy to see how many new mac owners the air brings on board each other as it gets better and better. I too upgraded and bought a 2012 loaded 13 with 512ssd 8gb i7 CTO. I love it and you will too! Any questions you have this community is amazing and very helpful. It is by far the fastest machine you will use and will serve you well for years to come unlike any windows machine lol.

On that note as I was going to the Apple store at the mall yesterday, Windows Store had its grand opening and Dan Marino was there lookin all old and washed up lol

15. jmichael99 thread starter macrumors member

i also found it odd they gave me my work discount without verifying anything...

16. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Congrats....I just recently got mine too and it the same config as yours.

17. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

The only thing I would have done (unless you need right now) is to wait for the Retina 13", which will probably be along in a month, just to see what the price points are like in relation to the Air.

But… having said that - enjoy. There are many fantastic things about Macintosh.

18. Ztormie macrumors regular

Oh, how dissapointed you will be :D

19. jmichael99 thread starter macrumors member

it will be out of my price range...and i dont want a MBP.. i wanted the lighter weight MPA.

20. Penjuku macrumors newbie

Buying a apple product is like buying a new car... It changes every 2-3 years... and if you have enough disposal incoming, you will get the upgrade... If you think about it, you don't upgrade your laptop every 3 years, you can save close to 10,000 in 10 years.... :)