Pulled The Trigger- MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carfac, Feb 3, 2009.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Well, my HP just gave up the ghost. It took a fall Sunday, and it seemed fine at first, albeit a bit louder as one of the fans started making a loud noise after the fall. But it started acting stranger and stranger, and now is to the point of not loading Windows. Tried to reinstall XP, but it would not take.

I have been looking at a MBP for a while, but as many here advise, I was waiting until I NEEDED one to drop the large coin. I really wanted (EXPECTED!) a better monitor; I think 1400 pixels is a bit shy of what I would consider pro, as is the current monitor color palette. But with my HP taking a fall, it would seem that the current model is the one I will get, I guess. And with MBPs now in the 1600-1700 range, I figgered why not?

It will be here tomorrow. Obviously, I have not had a MBP before, though I do have some iMacs... so I have some OSX experience. I am thinking in my mind right now how much space to allocate to Boot Camp; there are many things I still will need to do in WIN that just cannot be done in OSX. But I thought I would ask here to those who know what else I will need to do to get this set up and running fine.

I am thinking the Coconut is a must, right? I would think the little snitch might be a good addition. What else do I need to know for setting this puppy up?

Thanks!

Dave

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

3. nippyjun macrumors 65816

4. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Super- thanks!

Saw another post with a link to a pixel check program.... good idea to run that I think! Anything else I should look at like that?

5. dannomac macrumors member

I feel I should also plug Camino. It's the Mozilla rendering engine (the same one that Firefox uses) but in an app that has a mac native look and feel.

6. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Well, here I am on my new MBP! I have firefox on board (Sorry, no gonna do Camino!). I got a good profile for the monitor- I got the 84 not the 85, btw. Coconut says my battery will goto 4634, so just a BIT over spec there. Strangely, it shows my mac is 122 months old. (Yes, I saw the other post!)

Another question; do I deplete my battery once a week.... or once a month?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod