Pulled the trigger on an 09 Mac Pro.. 4890 question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Jul 12, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I have read through some of the threads and Im not positive of what will work. I would like to add this 4890 to my new Mac Pro

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102841

I already ordered the 2 power connectors from ATI. Will this card work and power my 30" display ? Also can someone list the exact files and in what order Ill need to use this 4890. I look through some other threads but some of the files had edits and updates on them. I just want to be very clear.. please do not Flame.

The Mac Pro arrives Wed and I dont want to screw this up!

2. Syonidism macrumors regular

3. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Ok thanks.. can anyone let me know if that specific 4890 will work??

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, by using the injector method. :) (Nothing actually changes on the card, just some software changes to get OS X to recognize it, and be able to function). The linked thread will help you for this method (Cindori made a really nice detailed post, and netkas has done a lot of work on the injectors. :) Adding a 3rd party cooler is an option, but that's up to you and your comfort level with attempting it, as this one seems to run a bit cooler according to the user reviews on newegg. ;)

No idea if you'd prefer going the flash route though, as the flash chip's capacity is unknown.