Pulled the trigger on Mini 1st gen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by kf9vh, Dec 1, 2013.

1. kf9vh macrumors newbie

kf9vh

Best Buy had them for $250 on line the other day. Could not pass it up.

I have played with the new Retina mini and sure it is a little faster and the display is better but not $150 for my needs. Not to mention what the value of the retina will be in 6 month when apple comes out with a new version. I know how that works, I bought an Ipad 3 and in less than 6 month the Ipad 4 appeared. Immediate extreme depreciation.

Does anyone know what OSI it will come with?

2. Misskitty macrumors 6502

The rmini will hold its resale value better than the first gen because its newer and much superior to the original.

3. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

The original is still a great device despite the lack of retina. You got a great deal.

4. sammy-boy macrumors regular

It's still an excellent iPad, I'm very happy with mine. When you ask what version of iOS it's running, I presume you're asking about your Mini when it arrives? It may have iOS 6 on, when I got my out of warranty replacement Mini from an Apple store a couple of weeks ago I had to update it to the latest version.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Enjoy your new mini kf9vh.:D

6. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502

It's a great device. I've owned three iPads and it remains my favorite.

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

The 1st gen mini is a sweet tablet. I upgraded to the Retina, but I miss a couple things. One, the black/Slate color. I liked how incognito it was. I also notice the increase in weight and thickness of the new one. Yes, it's slight, but my old Slate one just send so light on its feet to use a tired old saying.

Enjoy your tablet!

8. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I noticed the thickness and weight in the store but I think that May have been my knowledge of the change. I'd like to see 2 side by side.

9. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

I've been wondering what os the new orignal mini's come with myself. Could you let us know when you get it?

10. sharon888 macrumors newbie

My first generation iPad mini came with iOS 7. I got it from Target during their trade your iPad in for $200 promotion. It's much faster then my iPad first gen and it runs iOS 7 so I'm way ahead of where I was before. If you're on a budget, it's a great device.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

1st gen still plenty sweet. I find the added weight of the cellular retina model to be quite noticeable and rather annoying.

The question with the 1st gen will be how it handles future iOS releases.

12. kf9vh thread starter macrumors newbie

kf9vh

A year from now the $250 1st gen mini should still bring around $200 resale, the rmini will be hard pressed to command $300 as there will most likely be a new and improved 3rd gen mini.

If I can get a year out of the 1st gen mini and only loose around $50 (if I decide to upgrade) I will be very happy. Like I said in my first post I took a major hit on my Ipad 3 purchase in less than 6 months.

13. klover macrumors 6502a

After 3 tries at getting a retina mini without yellowing I gave up and grabbed a new first-gen for 250 as well. Perfect screen and I'll take the lower resolution/CPU speed over a piss screen any day.

14. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

I grabbed two 1st gen Minis from BestBuy when they had their 'Buy a mini, get a $100 GC' promo running last Wednesday. Got them for my daughters for Christmas.

I'm thinking of using the $200 worth of GCs for a rMini. For Daddy. :p

15. therationalist macrumors regular

therationalist

LOL..just did the same thing. Paid £200 for a 32 gig slate. Thats a pretty sweet deal.

yeah but you pay more for it in the first place. Mathematics, do you know it?

16. Nanasaki macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

Apple will keep 2 year update policy...So I assume it will get iOS 8. But not sure about iOS 9... Consider iPad 2 and iPhone 4 gets from iOS 4 all the way to iOS 7... I am pretty confident that first gen. iPad mini will gets to iOS 9 with many features removed....