Pulling a vacuum on a wet iDevice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Slopfrog, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Slopfrog macrumors newbie

My girlfriend was being stupid and was texting in the bathtub. You know what happened next...

I have access to a vacuum oven at work. I was thinking of settig it to like 110 degrees and then pulling a vacuum on the device. I know for a fact that this will get the water out of the phone very quickly, but I am worried thatir might damage the device in other ways. Obviously there isn't much info on doing stuff like this out there... Anybody have any thoughts?

2. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Highest % rubbing alcohol you can find, just give it a bath (in the rubbing alcohol this time) and let it dry.

I've fixed dozens of macbooks and iDevices with this and it's only a few bucks to do it.

You can also try the apple store to get it replaced, if you're lucky the "genius" will give you a "lesson learned" replacement if you're honest about what happened.

3. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

get some rice and throw it in there. rice will absorb water. or the little do not eat silica gels.

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Get a new girlfriend?

Just kidding.

But not really.

5. apmorency macrumors regular

I'm sure you know water will vaporize at lower temps under a vacuum, so 110 deg probably not necessary. And the impurities in the water, soap being one one of them will leave behind some possibly corrosive or conductive residues. Better to take it apart & clean the **** out of it anyway.

6. APtalent macrumors regular

Throw it in a bowl of uncooked rice. And let it sit there the whole night.

It will work.

7. darkplanets macrumors 6502a

Don't try to turn it on, at all. If you did you probably already shorted it.

As others have said, rubbing alcohol flush it, entirely. Then put it in a bag of rice overnight just to take out any extra moisture. Obviously your moisture sensors are gone. A vacuum oven would work just fine, and depending on the vacuum pull you'd only need around 40-60°C, however you're not trying to evaporate distilled, nanopure, or double distilled water, so I'd suggest not doing this.

8. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Dozens? How do you drop a whole MacBook in water? Seems to me you need to stay away from water and electronics....

9. bwrairen macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

Maybe he does a little repair work??

10. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

That is just pure stupidity..

I think the vacuum might do more damage to your iPhone, but i don't have any other solutions. Worst thing you could do is go to the Apple Store and explain the situation, hopefully they'll understand?

11. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Bingo.

And you don't have to completely submerge a MacBook in order for it to require to be cleaned for liquid damage (just cleaned a coffe and tea spill last night for my friends sister)