Pulling data off of corrupted HD ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rp516, Sep 19, 2018.

1. rp516 macrumors newbie

I recently experienced a HD crash on my Mid-2010 MBP.
    I replaced it with a SSD today and have been able to finally get it working and running - essentially set up as a brand new machine now.

I did not have/use Time Machine as a backup all this time (stupid, I know..) but am in desperate need of pulling off the data from my failed HD onto my new one now.

I used MacDrive for a few days as I had read several success stories about that on here...it seems to work decent enough.
    I was suggested to purchase a USB 3.0 enclosure which I did, and thought once I put the failed drive into it and booted up my MBP it would read the drive...but I cannot seem to find it being a device that's being recognized by the comp?

Is there an easy way to pull all the data off of my corrupted HD onto my new one pretty seamlessly? MacDrive is an option still, but you have to select each individual file/folder....and alot of the items that are bigger in file size, I keep getting an error message that "the item is not in the location" from where I'm trying to pull it from (though is appears it is.....?)

Any tips?!?
    Alot of the ones that I'm getting this message for, I can't replace :(

2. BLUEDOG314 macrumors 6502

BLUEDOG314

Just so I can get a better idea of what is going on, connect the drive to your computer and open terminal the type 'diskutil list' without the ' ' and press enter. Post the output here.

3. rp516 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I hope this is right in what you're asking for,

Doing what you stated provided this:::

rs-macbook-pro:~ rp$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *512.1 GB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Untitled 511.3 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *250.1 GB disk1

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 249.2 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB disk1s3

rs-macbook-pro:~ rp$

4. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

When you connect the old drive to the Mac, what happens?
    Can you hear the platter in the drive spinning?
    Are there other noises?
    Does the drive mount in the finder?
    Or... no?

If the (old) drive "crash" was due to hardware, you probably can't get the data back without physically opening it -- not something you would want to do yourself.
    That would involve a "data recovery outfit", and it can get VERY expensive, depending on what needs to be done.

If it was only a "software crash" -- corrupted directory, etc. -- it becomes "possible" that YOU could get the data back, with the right software tools.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

I have nothing to add regarding the data recovery which hasn't already been stated.

To avoid the problem in the future, if you're not good at keeping up with local backups I suggest looking at a cloud backup solution.

BackBlaze and iDrive are decent choices -- and iDrive has a current promo of 5TB for $6.95 for the first year. (Just remember to cancel/downgrade before the autorenewal kicks in, something as simple as setting a reminder in your calendar -- also a good situation for a virtual credit card number from your cc provider, set the limit/expiration to prevent the autorenew)

(best of course is a tiered strategy with a couple of local backup copies and cloud as the house-burned-down recovery solution)

6. rp516 thread starter macrumors newbie

When the old drive is connected to the Mac in an enclosure, you can hear it spinning as well as the enclosure lighting up on the outside so it's definitely reading. The drive does not mount in Finder as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what's different in the software update, but previously in Finder whenever I'd connect an external to my computer, it'd show up under Devices on Finder along with my general computer info to click on. Since installing the new drive/updating OS, under devices my new (internal) HD is listed there as a 'device'.
    If I open MacKeeper, the enclosure with my old drive *does* then show up in Finder, but only when it's done via that program.

I believe the old drive problem was more along the lines of a 'software crash' as you've stated. From what I could tell with the errors I was getting upon trying to start up the computer, the OS X was somehow corrupted and it was not allowing me to re-install it on there.
    When trying to run disk utility on that old drive, it was giving the following error:
    Hopefully that info helps clear it up a bit!

Yes definitely! Will be much more diligent about backups and using TimeMachine this time around :oops:
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely look into those options as well!

7. liya1201 macrumors regular

If the problem is invalid node structure, I would try to use DiskWarrior to rebuild/repair the problematic disk assuming it is HFS+ format.

8. rp516 thread starter macrumors newbie

AH! Wish I had known of this previously :oops: -- I'll try that on the old drive to see if that works any magic on some of the files.
    Thanks for the tip!