Pulling music off ext drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BilltheCat, Apr 19, 2007.

1. BilltheCat macrumors regular

BilltheCat

The ext drive is win formated and the dHell died. I wanted to try to salvage my music and file docs.

should I use iTunes to try to pull my music from the ext drive and how?

How should I grab my doc files? from OpenOffice?

Never tried to make any folders or directories yet.

Thanks for the hints!

2. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Um, when you say win formatted, do you mean FAT32, FAT16 or NTFS? Your Mac should be able to read all three formats, so you can just copy the data (music, documents, whatever) straight onto your Mac's hard drive.

3. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

sorry. Its NTFS formatted. I want to pull the music files off and place them somewhere not sure where. Want to do the same to the doc files. Ive never seen the directory structure in my iMac like in windoze.

I then would like to mac format the ext drive. I think this should be as easy as most things mac, just was checking!

4. PCMacUser macrumors 68000

PCMacUser

Ahh I see. Well I find the Mac default file structure a little more confusing than Windows, especially if there is more than one person using the same computer who wants to be able to access the same music, etc. But I digress.

If you are the only person using your iMac, then you will probably find it easiest to let iTunes handle the music copying. By default it will put the music into the YourName/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music folder. If you configure iTunes' preferences so that it will copy the music to your computer when adding to the Library, then all you will need to do is go File>Add Folder to Library, then select your external drive. And it will do the rest.

As for your documents, simply drag them off the external drive into the YourName/Documents folder. There isn't really an automated way to do this like with iTunes.

5. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

Thanks! That sounds matter of fact and easy. i really love Mac!

6. BilltheCat thread starter macrumors regular

BilltheCat

OK! I have the drive in the Macally case and plugged in with firewire. I turn it on and yes! The drive is OK! I got my music off the drive and into iTunes. I got my files off and into my documents folder.

I went on and formatted the NTFS drive for Journaled HFS+ and made a folder on it.

One question? Does the ext drive icon always have to stay yellow?

Thanks for the help! Now I can store stuff externally!:D :cool: