pulling my hair out with bad DVDS!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BraveSirRobin37, May 19, 2008.

1. BraveSirRobin37 macrumors newbie

i got a new alum iMac about 4 weeks ago. ive been using MTR, but im not sure if im using the best setting for backing up and storing my dvds. then im burning with both toast 9, and ive also done a straight ISO from disk utilities.

but, that being said. toast wont touch a memorex DVD+R DL. but i can burn with a single layer. but the dvds are of really bad quaility or decent picture quality and what almost seems to be rapid pausing and unpausing (frame rate isssue?) but ive got enough coasters to start my own coaster shop...help! :)

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Try DVD-R discs. I've never had good luck with DVD+R.

3. BraveSirRobin37 thread starter macrumors newbie

that was my next step, i just hate that ive had/still have so many blank dvds. i noticed my drive's name was Pioneer DVD-RW, so i was gonna try the -r and -R DL's next. thanks!

4. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

If you have a pioneer drive in your mac than you should be good to go.
    I use mac the ripper all the time and I do use memorex dvd+r dl for movies that I don't want to compress to the 4.7 gb size of single layer discs. I never have any problems

Are you using the latest version of mtr 3.0.14m?
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/index.php

Do the discs +r dl discs play back any different on different dvd players? Some dvd players don't like +r discs

When using toast try burning at slower speeds like 2x

Have you tried Dvd2Onex? This might help with cleaning up the navigation of your backups

5. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i prefer dvd shrink in parallels to do my shrinking but i can't burn the iso's i've tried in windows and in os x with disk util but every time it says there is an error and can't write, but not of course before writing 7 KB of unless info making the disk completely unusable

6. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

You said you prefer to use dvd shrink in parallels. But you can't seem to burn the iso! What are you using to burn in windows have you tried nero?
    Trust me you can do it all on osx.

rip with mtr 3.0r14 the latest as of now
    http://www.ripdifferent.com/phpbb2/index.php

compress and or restructure the file set ''video_ts'' folder by using dvd2onex check save as file set
    http://www.dvd2one.com/

Burn the video_ts folder using toast any version 7 or later will work fine
    I have done many memorex dvd+r Dl's this way and never have I ended up with a coaster.
    I even can do this with my g4 700 MHz emac with a external burner

7. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

k i've got the video_ts file which will fit on a single layer what setting do i use in the newest version of toast

8. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

With toast, go to video and chose under formats DVD-video from VIDEO_TS.

9. Tom Foolery macrumors regular

i did that and i burned it in simulation mode and everything went smoothly, but then when i tried it for real it didn't work again, it must be a problem with the drive. that would surprise me because it's been giving me some trouble

lol sorry i kinda hijacked your thread

10. BraveSirRobin37 thread starter macrumors newbie

hey no worries about hi jacking my thread. right now im tryin to absorb up any input i can get about this. its been very frustrating. im using the new mac the ripper 3.0.14 and burning the file with toast 9 at a slow speed and im still getting dvds where the picture and sound dont sync up...WHY!!!! lol

11. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

You might try a different brand of media. I don't really care for memorex as I have had problems with them on both PC and Mac.

Verbatim, Sony, TDK have all served me very well. I do a LOT of burning of both CD's and DVDs. I am a live music trader in the jamband community (think Phish, Grateful Dead, Moe., The Disco Biscuits, The Black Crowes, etc...)
    Many of the people I deal with are VERY particular about the media that is used.

If you want some other good opinions on media, I suggest you check out http://bt.etree.org or the CD Freaks forums.

All that being said, I have a 100 spindle of Imation (which I think is junk), that I bought because it was 7 bucks on clearance, that hasn't given me fits so far, though I don't prefer Imation media.

Good luck.

12. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Make sure you are using mtr 30.r14m You have to make a donation. Or find it on a torrent or file sharing forum.

Also get a copy of dvd2onex, for compression. Even if the movie needs no compression, dvd2onex will help sort out the dvd navigation packets.
    Don't use toast or popcorn for compression of video_ts files just for burning