Pulling power plug interrupts software update?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dannoo, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Dannoo macrumors newbie

So I just reinstalled Mac OS X Leopard and after finishing it, I let it start downloading some updates, some of them which were fairly major (Java, security fix, etc). These required the computer to restart, after which it continued to install the updates.

At this point, an electrical storm brewed up and so I unplugged my laptop to protect it from a possible surge. The laptop still had a nearly full battery, but the update process just abruptly quit...it was one 2 of 9 items. I've re-run the updater but it says nothing new needs to be installed...um...I'm quite sure *something* was updating. I understand that some software packages require the laptop to be plugged in during the process...but it seems to me bad policy to have a process abruptly shut down even if there's plenty of battery life...

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It is a precaution. Software will prompt you if your computer is not plugged in and if the power is cut it will stop. It is to prevent catastrophic damage if the battery were to run out. It is not a bug it is there for a real reason. If you go back into the update you can ignore the battery warning, even though it is not suggested.