Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I am pretty much at the end of my ropes with my ATV and the on again/off again sometimes it wants to stream and sometimes it doesn't, and the same with syncing, Apple TV. It's latest problem is that it doesn't want to color calibrate correctly. Fine, whatever, I'm done.

I am looking at the new mac mini's, and I'm very very close to ordering the 120 gig version, with the practically free printer. The idea here would be to hook it up to my widescreen LCD HDTV, and use it not only to watch video directly from my external drives, but also to do light web surfing, and watching streaming video over the internet.

I will probably do very very very light video editing as well, but the main purpose of the mini would be for watching tv shows that have already been encoded onto my hard drives, or purchased from itunes.

Yes? No? Is this a good idea, or is it more trouble than it's worth? I currently own a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I have ordered this morning the HDMI to DVI cord that I saw recommended in another thread.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Skruggie, i have an Apple TV also hate to hear about your problems. I also would like to add the Mac Mini to my setup. what type of wireless keyboard do you have? Have you looked into using Plex on your mini?

Bobby

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I bought a wireless keyboard and mouse at the Apple store quite a while ago, I just need to buy new batteries for them.

I am not familiar with Plex? Would it help with the on again/off again sometimes it syncs/sometimes it doesn't nonsense?

Getting internet on my bedroom tv would be a plus, but it's not the main reason I'm thinking of this switch. Although it would be very nice to be able to use Hulu with my tv.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
I had an Apple TV. i liked it a lot but the time/quality loss of converting DVDs was frustrating. Switched to a Mini w/ Plex and I love it so far.

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
I am looking at the software page for plex right now - I had never heard of this before. It looks like exactly what I need to get the best of what I liked with ATV with my potential new mac mini purchase. I have several hundreds of gigs of video encoded, this could really do the trick.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
There's a little bit of learning curve in setting up Plex, so read through the Wiki, but once you get it up and running is great.

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Well, I Just ordered it. Should be here towards the end of the week.

I really hope this ends up being everything I think it will:D

and, I have a nice Apple TV to use as a coaster.....

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
Sky Blue do you have your Mini connected to your TV...? I went to an Apple store in Atlanta, Ga as there are none around me. The employee I talked to had to keep going to the back for advice I guess but kept telling me that I would not be satisfied with the video quality of the Mini on my TV. I've got a 52" LCD TV with an Apple TV hooked to it. I have tried Boxee but have not been pleased with the freezing/stuttering I get with it. I would like to use the Mini to view internet video. And to experience the OS-X OS... I'm still working on converting my computers to Mac's. I mainly want to use the Mini for a little web surfing... I plan on keeping my Apple TV at this time. I also want to add an Apple TV to my bedroom one day. If the mini works out I might transfer the Apple TV to my bedroom. How do you connect your Mini to your TV..? I have read a little about the Mini Display to HDMI cable. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note... How do I get the Smiles to work on this forum. I've tried using the black apple to represent the appletv but it does not work.

Thanks,

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Sky Blue do you have your Mini connected to your TV...? I went to an Apple store in Atlanta, Ga as there are none around me. The employee I talked to had to keep going to the back for advice I guess but kept telling me that I would not be satisfied with the video quality of the Mini on my TV. I've got a 52" LCD TV with an Apple TV hooked to it. I have tried Boxee but have not been pleased with the freezing/stuttering I get with it. I would like to use the Mini to view internet video. And to experience the OS-X OS... I'm still working on converting my computers to Mac's. I mainly want to use the Mini for a little web surfing... I plan on keeping my Apple TV at this time. I also want to add an Apple TV to my bedroom one day. If the mini works out I might transfer the Apple TV to my bedroom. How do you connect your Mini to your TV..? I have read a little about the Mini Display to HDMI cable. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note... How do I get the Smiles to work on this forum. I've tried using the black apple to represent the appletv but it does not work.

Thanks,

Yeah, I have it hooked up to the TV, it looks great. I dump my DVDs on an external HD and play them through Plex. Looks good and very easy to use. I have a mini-DVI to DVI adaptor and then a DVI to HDMI cable. Also an audio cable runs from the Mini to the TV.

yeahhh

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Are you interested in selling your ATV? I think I have finally decided to get one. I have been debating on getting a mini or ATV but I think I'll start with the ATV.

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Are you interested in selling your ATV? I think I have finally decided to get one. I have been debating on getting a mini or ATV but I think I'll start with the ATV.

PM me. I'm about to sell mine as well.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
... the main purpose of the mini would be for watching tv shows that have already been encoded onto my hard drives, or purchased from itunes.

Yes? No? Is this a good idea, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

I bought my ATV over a year ago, before you could rent HD to a Mac. Back then, I would recommend the ATV. Now, I would recommend a Mini - for your first/main TV. Run it as (a) a source playing directly to your TV and (b) a media server, to other systems in the house - specifically, ATVs hooked up to your other TVs (if you have multiple TVs).

Converting is a pain, but you end up with content ready to stream anywhere in the house.

Thus, I did it a bit backwards: now that I already have an ATV (and only one TV), I plan to get a Mini, and connect the ATV to a second TV (if I get a second).

yeahhh

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Skruggie & Tenorsaw,

Sorry, how do I PM you? I cant seem to figure it out? We can talk about your ATV's for sale offline.

yeahhh

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2009
Tried that...I get the following 3 options.

1) view profile
2) find more posts
3) add to buddy list

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
Yes? No? Is this a good idea, or is it more trouble than it's worth? I currently own a wireless keyboard and mouse, and I have ordered this morning the HDMI to DVI cord that I saw recommended in another thread.

Absolutely the right move. For this reason I had no idea why the :apple:tv ever came out. Apple could have just whacked component and HDMI onto the Mini and got the same thing and then some... But eh, whatever. Enjoy the Mini :)

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Tried that...I get the following 3 options.

1) view profile
2) find more posts
3) add to buddy list

Maybe because you're new to the forums.

You and skruggie can work on something first, since you originally asked him. Let me know what you want to do after that.

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
yeahhh I can't PM you either - it might be due to our your low post counts?

it just worked - I sent you a PM

mk456

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2009
Reply on Apple TV for a Mac Mini

No life at all. I'm heading down to the Apple store tomorrow.

I wonder what an out of warranty service repair would cost? It's probably expensive since everything is tied to the motherboard, including the power supply. Unless that can be replaced on its own. I'm praying it's something like the hard drive. I could do that on my own. I would need the image from somewhere though.

Hey, you're in the repair business Hackers. What do you think something like that would cost? Have you ever done an Apple TV?:)

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
No life at all. I'm heading down to the Apple store tomorrow.

I wonder what an out of warranty service repair would cost? It's probably expensive since everything is tied to the motherboard, including the power supply. Unless that can be replaced on its own. I'm praying it's something like the hard drive. I could do that on my own. I would need the image from somewhere though.

Hey, you're in the repair business Hackers. What do you think something like that would cost? Have you ever done an Apple TV?:)

Take it to the store first. You never know, if it's power related it could be something as simple as a fuse. If you're lucky to have a cool Genius team at your nearby store, they sometimes do the easy stuff for free.

skruggie

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Well the HDMI cable arrived, and I'm testing this out with my macbook pro. It plays absoultely beautiful on my television, video looks just stunning. It does everything apple tv does and then some. The only slight issue I'm having is that it is hard to browse the net on the tv, when my eyes are so far away from the screen.

For the most part, I don't forsee any issues with making this move at all.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Yeah,
I am seriously considering the Mini.
Since AppleTV is a hobby for Apple, I am kind losing my hope they will upgrade it soon. Just tired of waiting.
I think the Mini is the way to go with and external 2TB drive plus Plex. Just set it up and then forget the keyboard
since I am not planning to use it to surf the web.
Also, I can set up my Logitech Harmony One to use on the Mini.

bergmef

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2005
North East, MD, USA
I have both, the mini and the apple tv. For me, the mini is the media server and the 'workhorse' for converting my video for the apple tv. The mini is connected to the tv also but only for hulu, I still prefer the apple tv and its interface.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
I am surprised that no one has mentioned PlayStation 3 here yet.

It does everything you want to do (bar video editing) and is compatible with your wireless keyboard and mouse if they are bluetooth. It can stream video from sites which use Flash via its built in web browser and unlike Mac mini, its interface is designed for use on a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.