Pulling the trigger for the 27" today

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ericgtr12, Sep 30, 2016.

  1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

    ericgtr12

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    #1
    My MBP is about 6 years old and while it's still a decent machine, it's time for an upgrade. I know they're about to release a new one but spending $1900 on this years model with a 1 TB fusion drive seems like a pretty good deal. Looking forward to the huge screen, coming off the 15" MBP I'm sure it will be like night and day.
     
  2. elf69 macrumors 68000

    elf69

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2016
    Location:
    Cornwall UK
    #2
    nice!

    I want a big imac, my 2007 20" is ok but need something bit faster.

    I got a 2009 macbook, I wish could afford upgrade.
     
  3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    #3
    Almost $2000 for iMac with Fusion Drive is a huge rip-off when you can get a 500GB SSD these days for ~$100.
     
  4. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ericgtr12

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    #4
    I think the difference works out to be maybe $200 more without the fusion drive? I don't mind in that scenario but I do plan on buying an external drive for added storage, they're getting really cheap at Costco.

    Also, I'm wondering if I can use my existing Logitech mouse and keyboard with this, anyone know?
     
  5. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2016
    #5
    I would install the SSD internally.

    It should take less than an hour to do.

    Sure. Why not?
     
  6. gian8989 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2015
    #6
    If you refer to the 5k model I would say STOP!!!
    The 1TB fusion drive is terrible because it has a little ssd inside and not the 128GB of the 2/3TB fusion drive.
     
  7. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #7
    I would wait until the end of the month man. Very likely we get a new iMac...with perhaps a new design that includes USB-C and Thunderbolt 3. I know people say if you wait, you'll always be waiting for something better, but this is different. Wait.
     
  8. Krevnik macrumors 68040

    Krevnik

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    #8
    I have to agree. I've personally set a deadline of end of year to let an announcement roll in before I start looking at refurbs or something else.
     
  9. Poncho macrumors 6502

    Poncho

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2007
    Location:
    Holland
    #9
    WAIT! Running a 2007 iMac here too, and a 2006 Macbook. Do you need the new machine today? I'm waiting...
     
  10. EvanEiga macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2015
    #10
    Running on a 2011 iMac and 2012 MacBook Pro with Retina display.

    Both are still very recent today. But I think I may upgrade one of them this year.
     
  11. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ericgtr12

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    #11
    My MBP is going on it's 2nd Motherboard replacement, great computer but it sucks having to take it in and wait 3 weeks each time. They don't charge because it's a known issue but making me do it twice on a laptop that expensive has turned me off to them. I'm hopeful the iMac will not have the same problems and I like the price right now, if I wait I'll get a couple of upgrades but it's likely to be more than I'll want to pay.
     
  12. gian8989 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2015
    #12
    If you wait for the next release you should be able to find refurbished at a nice price. Probably MacBook event in October but I suspect they are going to delay iMac to the end of the year because of kabylake cpu.
     
  13. Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #13
    As others are pointing out, it's highly probable that we're just less than a month away from a new iMac.

    Just wait.
     
  14. Whiskey27 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2016
    #14
    Don't do it! Wait, shouldn't be no more the 60 days tops for the NEW iMac to become available. If you can't wait......Please don't get the 1TB Fusion Drive and the R9 M380 Graphic card........ Terrible performance, you'll regret it. Good luck!

    iMac 5K, 27in Late 2015
    3.3 Ghz Intel Core i5
    16GB
    AMD R9 M395
    2TB Fusion Drive
     
  15. PatriotInvasion macrumors 65816

    PatriotInvasion

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2010
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #15
    I wouldn't worry about the price because after the new one is released, it's likely the remaining stock of existing models will be available at an even steeper discount through a 3rd party seller like Amazon. That way, you can decide if the new version is worth the cost to you or still get the older model. But, at least you'll know for a fact what you'll be missing.
     
  16. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    ericgtr12

    Joined:
    Mar 19, 2015
    #16
    Is it really that bad? Was it that bad a year ago when it was released? Hope there are more than just horror stories about this computer.
     
  17. danielwsmithee macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2005
    #17
    As others have mentioned, you will get a lot more computer for the money if you can hold off for a few more weeks or a month. Even if you don't get the new model, the older models will drop in price.

    Also the 1TB fusion drive is not one I would recommend, because on that they reduced the SSD portion to 24GB. I would get either a 2TB Fusion, 256 GB SSD, or 512 GB SSD.
     
  18. Icaras, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

    Icaras macrumors 603

    Icaras

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2008
    Location:
    California, United States
    #18
    Bad? What? What horror stories are you referring to exactly? I haven't seen a single one in this thread.
     
  19. varian55zx macrumors 6502a

    varian55zx

    Joined:
    May 10, 2012
    Location:
    San Francisco
    #19
    OP, I don't want to be insulting to you, my intention is merely to offer assistance.

    It is likely a new iMac is going to be released this month (October).

    If you waited, not only would you be getting a brand new machine, but you also might possibly get more for your money. Just as Apple SSD prices have gone down it is possible you could get better specs for the same price (I'm not sure on this).

    But you also bought a model that is not an optimal model to buy. the low end graphics card provides a choppy experience and the 1tb fusion is a disgrace. You're only getting 24gb of SSD space.

    I was about to (2 weeks ago) pull the trigger on a brand new 5K iMac

    3.3ghz i5
    512gb SSD
    M395 graphics card

    Now THAT is a model that provides a good cost to spec ratio. I daresay a "sweet spot".

    I would strongly recommend to wait for the new one, I was in the same position as you but I waited.
     
  20. benjai macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 1, 2009
    #20
    If you're desperate for an imac now, why don't you consider a second hand one? You can sell it on in one/two months for a very small/no loss assuming you bought well.
     
  21. 960design macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2012
    Location:
    Destin, FL
    #21
    You will really enjoy it. I have a maxed out 27" iMac ( late 2015 ) purchased a couple of months ago and it has been fantastic. I load up two browser tabs side by side and three finger scroll to multiple desktops making the screen real estate ENORMOUS.
     
  22. Krevnik macrumors 68040

    Krevnik

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    #22
    Here's another thing to consider: If you like the price today, the price on the older models aren't going to go up when the new one is announced. It's more that if you are buying new, you will get more for your money if Apple launches in a month. If you are buying refurb/used of the 2015, you will probably still get more for your money if Apple launches in a month.

    Unless the MBP is about to die for a third time, I would personally try to wait. The only downside is not having the machine next week, IMO. Is having it now worth the opportunity cost? Well, only you can really decide that.
     
  23. Taz Mangus, Sep 30, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2016

    Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

    Taz Mangus

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2011
    #23
    That was the exact 2015 iMac I had ordered and returned because I realized that a new iMac is going to be coming out soon. I am hoping that the new iMacs run cool. The time that I did have the 2015 iMac it stayed cool, never got even warm. My 2011 27" iMac got hot enough that you could fry an egg on it. So I am hoping the new iMacs don't trend getting hot again.

    I have a question for anyone. If I go with the base RAM in the iMac of 8GB and add another 16GB that I install myself, would there be some sort of issue running both at the same time. The specs would be the same for both but more then likely come from different manufacturers. The reason I ask, is because I am wondering if all 4 slots need matched RAM modules as 2 would be 8GB and the other 2 would be 16GB. Is there any concern I should consider here?
     
  24. fred_garvin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2003
    #24
    Apple's next gen filesystem does not support fusion drives currently. Either they will add support in a later build or we will see those drives disappear shortly.
     
  25. gian8989 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 23, 2015
    #25
    You can run with both but with the speed of the slower one. If you buy 16 GB (8x2) put them like this 8:4:8:4. 24GB should be enough for normal chrome use
     

Share This Page