Pulse - newsreader - gorgeous

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by kaelell, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kaelell macrumors 6502

2. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Pretty amazing how quickly it jumped to being a #1 paid iPad app. I may end up getting it as well. Looks like a nice app. Also, TUAW had a pretty cool demo video of it on their website.

3. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Give it a month and I'll try it when it's 99 cents.

4. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

I like the idea of the App but don't care for the limit of 20 feeds. I also don't like the idea of no Videos.

I hope those are improved soon. I would like to try the App but both those limitations stop me. I have well over 20 and I guess I enjoy videos.

I don't like it when I see an App rise to the top of any chart but it's reviews are just about all bad. It seems a little confusing?

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Nooooo! Don't want any more news readers! I already have three, sigh.

6. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

Yeah, I almost got it till I read about the 20 limit. Will definitely be keeping an eye on it though. Hopefully, they'll be an update soon.

7. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Wouldn't plan on it. They keep referring to how google reader and other rss readers are like an overwhelmed inbox, so the limited number of feeds is probably by design.

I am using newsrack (and will switch most likely to reeder when it comes out in iPad form, their iPhone version is awesome) for my main rss feeds synched with google reader. But there are some feeds I don't read/scan every single post on. So those I am going to use Pulse for. The feeds I took out of google reader as I was constantly 2 plus weeks and 1000 posts behind on. Pulse will be great for those so I don't feel guilty not keeping up. Lol

8. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Hmm. Checked it out, wasn't impressed. The layout is like the NPR app browser. It suffers more from the problem of feeds not including much content than the other news readers do. In landscape mode, which is my preferred orientation, the actual article space doesn't get much real estate because they want to keep part of their NPR-style UI visible.

Going to stick with early edition for my lightweight feeds for now. Just works better for my preferred browsing style.

9. Scott56R Guest

Scott56R

It's alright - nothing too special

Like what was mentioned above, the 20 feed limit is not enough, no video support and very truncated feed articles.

I would like an option where by clicking on the 'box' it would display the full site. I know there is a web button in the upper right corner but it would be nice to have a preference on this selectable by the user.

I'll stick with it

On a side note: I also use NewsRack which seems to tick all the boxes as my default reader app

10. Trooperof3 macrumors regular

11. DKatri macrumors 6502

Beautiful app. Deleted news rack and early edition. Beautiful UI and I'm sure you can watch videos by switching to the web view of the article.

12. gillybean macrumors 6502a

I have too many news reader apps already, so I'll pass.

13. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

Is this an RSS app where you can only use your google account, or is it like News Rack where you don't? I don't use google anymore, so...

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Wow and just $3.99? will have to compare to my current Fav ... FeedHopper.

15. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Pulse for iPad

tauw is giving away a few free Pulse iPad Apps. I think the contest ends June 6th.

Read More and good luck

I may end up giving Pulse a chance. I could narrow down my favorite feeds and could probably wait for Videos in an update. If it's that nice of a UI it might be worth it.
    NewsRack has been keeping me very happy but there's room for another and right now Pulse looks like my second in the long line.

16. emegmac macrumors regular

Ive tried rss before and hated it. I triedit in apples mail app. I always found it way to cluncky andbori g for me. With my iPad ilooked i to some more. I love this app. It feels very mac like. Ican see why some may think 20 feeds is limited but works great for me. I love being able tosee all my newspaper feeds on one page.

17. kaelell thread starter macrumors 6502

you dont have to use google but you can.

18. jjk454ss macrumors 601

jjk454ss

I love this app, one of my favorites now for sure. I didn't think the 20 feed limit would be an issue, but after using it fo a while I would like to add more feeds. I can see more than 20 being an issue on one page though. What I would like to see would be a start screen, the you choose your category. You could make your own categories with whatever feeds you want under each category. Then choose what you want to look at, news, iPhone, tech, whatever.

19. dstunbound macrumors member

This would help it take over other readers for me

20. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

can't find in the app store on ipad or itunes on the mbp. wth?

21. superflush macrumors 6502a

Yea. Me too. I was just about to buy it. I wonder what's going on.

22. superflush macrumors 6502a

Okay, so anyone wondering why Pulse got pulled should read this: http://kara.allthingsd.com/20100608...e-hours-later-after-new-york-times-complaint/

It seems that because they preloaded the NYT's RSS feed, The New York Times complained about it and had it pulled. Hopefully they can just remove the feeds as being preloaded and it should be back in the App Store.

I'm really anxious to try it now.
    Very ironic considering that Steve highlighted it in his keynote and considering that The New York Times had such a highly positive piece about it: http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/01/the-ipad-pulse-reader-scales-the-charts/

23. superflush macrumors 6502a

Now that I think of it, what a stupid reason for The New York Times Company to complain about this.
    They were essentially complaining (on behalf of The Boston Globe, Boston.com and The New York Times) about the fact that Pulse pre-loaded their RSS feeds and used them in an unauthorized, commercial way. I suppose that the app featuring The New York Times may help Pulse sell the app (and so would the NYT's positive piece about Pulse). Having the NYT RSS feed in Pulse isn't anything that any user couldn't add in regardless. So the end result here will be that Pulse will remove these RSS feeds from being pre-loaded from Pulse ... which will likely result in less people seeing The New York Times and Boston Globe's content. What is the point of The New York Times Company doing this? They are just preventing their content from being prominently featured.

24. None Such macrumors 6502

Ah okay, I've been trying to find Pulse in the app store and couldn't find it. I couldn't figure out what I was missing. Hopefully it gets sorted out soon, I want to try it out.

25. Trooperof3 macrumors regular

lol It's not like Pulse is the only RSS feed out there. NYT are a bunch of jerks. Whats next Free RSS gone from my iPhone.. maybe my firefox RSS should be taken away.