Pulse vs Reeder

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Razeus, Jun 13, 2010.

1. Razeus macrumors 603

Which one for the iPad. Both seem to have great UI. Pulse seems to have more pop in terms of color and presentation. Does Pulse sync with Google Reader? Which one????

2. furqan8421 macrumors member

I'm also unsure which to keep. I have tried both though.

Pulse has a nicer way of presenting articles. The feeds with picturesnlook great. However, when reading articles the default view doesn't show in line images or formatting. You must flip to web view. Web view loads the full site with ads.

Readers initial view is not as nice. Most feeds don't have a web logo so you have blank pads with the feeds name. Maybe a future version could have an image from the most recent article instead. When reading feeds though it is better. Videos load. Images load without ads. Formatting is maintained.

Reader also has no way to add feeds in the app. Pulse is limited to 20 feeds but for me that's plenty. Pulse cannot also mark all as read but because of how feeds are presented it's less relevant.

3. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

No videos in Pulse so if videos are something you like remember that.

None, zero, ziltch, natta.

4. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

Reeder, not a big fan of Pulse (I think it's way overrated, the UI isn't as pretty as everyone raves). Reeder has a tidier way of presenting things (big fan of the stack-like look), and no videos in Pulse.

However, I use "The Early Edition", really really liking it so far (and it apparently syncs with Google Reader). Presents everything in a newspaper-like format, your own personalized paper. :)

5. Razeus thread starter macrumors 603

I've chosen Reeder since it syncs with Google and Pulse only gives 20 feeds.

6. superflush macrumors 6502a

Pulse syncs with Google Reader (right now it is limited to 20 feeds)
    Early Edition doesn't have 2-way sync with Google Reader, so it essentially just importants your feeds into Early Edition.

7. aristobrat macrumors G5

I think Pulse will let you pull 20 of your RSS feeds from Google Reader, but AFAIK, Pulse doesn't go back and update your Google Reader with what you've read in Pulse.

Pulse is a bear for me to start up on 3G.

8. tsvb macrumors 6502

9. OpenThirdeye macrumors member

I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I don't really care how "pretty" my news is presented to me. I want to be able to read the content on ALL of my feeds - not just 20 of them. I see it as a no-brainer.

10. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

I probably am with the few who likes Early Edition best. I have all three of them and I like the layout of Early Edition. It just works well. I guess I should give Reeder more time but for now, the simple usability on Early Edition is the most convenient.

11. AndyCodez macrumors regular

I really like the ui for Pilsen but I am kind of sad i wasted the cash on it, considering it crashes like 90% of the time that i am using it, is the a way to get a refund for an app that crashes all the time.

Like just now I was trying to read a short article and it crashed three times while trying to finish reading it.

12. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I am a big fan of Reeder. I agree with you that Reeder's initial view is pretty bland. Hopefully they will address that in the future.

13. nanohits macrumors regular

nanohits

On the contrary it is not imo, NewsRack is better and simpler and equally fast. What Reeder has NewsRack has. And what NewsRack has Reeder doesnt. For example you dont need Google Reader to use NewsRack, With Reeder you have to otherwise you cant use it. The other thing is you can pinch and zoom directly from an RSS feed. With Reeder you cant, you can only pinch and zoom once you click on the RSS link and get to that website.

Having said that they are both good. I just feel there are way too many fanbois for Reeder and I cant understand why. NewsRack is my choice for now after having tried Pulse, Netnewswire, Reeder, Early Edition, and a few others and I have spent quite a bit of $$ just so I can get the very best.

14. superflush macrumors 6502a

I think you're right about this.
    It looks like Pulse doesn't mark posts as read back to Google Reader.
    I'm still trying to figure out which apps do this well and which don't. It looks like Reeder and NewsRack handle this syncing very well. I think originally it seemed as though Pulse was marking posts as read (or rather, having everything in sync), but I think it was just that on the initial sync/setup, Pulse was able to detect which posts had been previously read. When I go into Pulse now, the newest posts in a given feed appear as unread (so long as I didn't read them in Pulse) when I have read them in Reeder or NewsRack.

15. Treebark macrumors regular

Treebark

Both:

Reeder for the rss feeds (about 80 or so) I read often and usually read at least the titles of all posts. I want to synch these feeds back to google reader for when I am on a computer.

Pulse for some rss feeds that I enjoy reading from time to time but am not interested in keeping up with every single day. Well, interested, but don't have the time to. I found myself marking some feeds (engadget for instance) as read for anything over a week old often, so I took those feeds out of my google reader account that I synch with Reeder and now if I want to read through those feeds that are of interest but not worth (to me) keeping up 100% of the time on I use Pulse. Works well for me.

16. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I prefer Reeder as well. Pulse is more engaging visually, but Reeder is more functional.

17. srl7741 macrumors 68020

srl7741

Actually I don't see how you can compare the two with each other. They are so different it's not really a fair comparison.

For example: NewRack vs MobileRSS you can compare.
    or Instapaper vs Read It Later you can compare.

Pulse is so much different in many ways and I don't think it's best to compare with Reeder. Pulse in many ways is different that all the others.
    IDK? just thinking out loud i guess.

18. furqan8421 macrumors member

They are each different but most people don't want to buy 2 RSS readers I'd imagine