Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, .....?

TML

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Hi,
Probably going to be one of the most pointless posts in the history of this website but does anybody have any idea of the name of Apple' next OS and what new features you think it may / want it to have?

I, personally, think Apple should work a bit harder on making third-party plugins compatible with it's software and operating systems. Well, that's just me eh.

Zebra, Lion, Cougar..? I quite like Cougar personally. Ooh I dunno!

Any ideas?

BTW, 10.1 WAS named Puma wasn't it?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this has been beaten to death....probably going to go with Cougar, thats the only one i like, who knows what the new features will be though

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
That's assuming there's an OS X 10.5, and not just an OS X 11.0 (Or OS XI; OS X11 may be confusing) or something like that. Could start a whole new series: Viper, Python, Cobra, Anaconda, Diamondback, ...

stoid

macrumors 601
Longhorn is perfect for Windows. Bull. ;)

I think that Cougar makes sense, though it may be that Apple will get away from big cat names soon, there just aren't that many different cool sounding cats left. I imagine that we won't know until WWDC 2006 though (14 months)

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
StarbucksSam said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm about 97.9% sure that a Cougar is the SAME thing as a Puma and they are called different things locally.
I believe you are correct. Also called a catamount and a mountain lion. That doesn't mean apple couldn't use the name though. I mean, these are codewords, not submissions for the endangered species list or anything.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Introducing Mac OS X 10.5 "Ocelot"... :D

Course there is always Leopard and Lion... :rolleyes:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Smilodon

But how many more .1s are we going to have before we see OSXI? I don't think there's been any mention of it (at least that I've seen).

D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:
Smilodon

But how many more .1s are we going to have before we see OSXI? I don't think there's been any mention of it (at least that I've seen).

D
well OS XI will have to be another major overhall, so i think we have a good 5-10 years before we see that, and there are penty .1 releases to go around at this point....

vouder17

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2003
Home
i would really like the next one to be called Mac OS X 10.5 Lion. Has a nice ring to it.
Although for the last OS X Cat release it would have to be Leopard. Leopards are by far the most powerful cat out there...and the most beautiful IMO

FoxyKaye

macrumors 68000
I dunno, I think the whole big cats thing is starting to get a little worn out. Maybe 10.5 will be the last of them, but who really knows?

That being said, I think Apple could take things in a whole different direction and call 10.5 "Voltron" :p - He's not just one big dude, he's five big cats put together!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
szark said:
Well, they trademarked Lynx, Cougar, and Leopard, so it will likely be one of those. ;)
Interesting information. Out of those I think I like Leopard. The other's are OK, but they just don't sound as "sexy".

How do you say Lynx? Like: LIN EX, or LINKS ?

Chubypig

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2004
tech4all said:
Interesting information. Out of those I think I like Leopard. The other's are OK, but they just don't sound as "sexy".

How do you say Lynx? Like: LIN EX, or LINKS ?
like LINKS I think. :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
yg17 said:
How about Mac OSX 10.5 Pu**y?

I'd love to see the ad campaigns for that...."Buy a Mac and get some pu**y"
"Uh, yes, is this Apple?"
"Yes, this is Apple Computer. How May I help you?"
"Well I am a recent switcher and decided that Windows Longhorn is no good for me. I want some Pu**y"
"Well would you like the Pu**y for Single User? Or the Pu**y Family Pack"
"Whats the difference?"
"Single user gets their own Pu**y, and Family Pack gets to share their Pu**y with their wife and kids!"
"So, my son can use my newly purchased Pu**y?"
"Yessir. Would you like to buy it?"
"Well, of course!"

OK, ok, I HAD to!

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
Ham_man said:
Introducing Mac OS X 10.5 "Ocelot"... :D

Course there is always Leopard and Lion... :rolleyes:
I'm going for ocelot too! :cool:
Side Note: Ligers grwo huge, I see somewhere they recon their Liger "Hobbs" weighs in at 1200 odd pounds! Summit to do with growth inhibitors...