Resolved PUP detection

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by camelia, Jul 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. camelia macrumors 6502

camelia

Hello,

My Antivirus is detecting 2 files as Potentially Unwanted Program
    1. I know, there is a very few malware out there that can affect macOS
    2. I know, macOS is safe and doesn't really need an Antivirus protection, (Maybe MBAM for Mac just to check If everything is ok)
    3. I know, a PUP detection does not mean that the software is malicious, but is instead a Potentially Unwanted Program. This typically means that the software is identified as performing actions that many users find undesirable.
    4. I know, I am hardheaded installing an Antivirus :p
    What I don't know and because I am curios which is the App that my Antivirus is detecting as PUP, the path where the PUP IS, does not give me more information.

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Blobs/63BC92978390A3485E92E1CD49B4C33A160089CC

/Users/USER/Library/Containers/com.apple.appstore/Data/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore/WebKitCache/Version 12/Records/22166E55BD6331366B10BB8B6EF306F40B9CC9B2/Resource/AD9756F244ADB931EFDBAF4CE0AEA96D0877CE50-blob

How can I know which App has a relationship with the 2 files above?

Update 1: Apple Store mmhhhh:eek:
    Update 2: FP, I am sure :cool:

Thanks
    Came

06Avast_virus.png

2. NastyNatex macrumors member

3. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

Avast Security

Came

4. NastyNatex macrumors member

I would upload the files to VirusTotal for further investigating and a second opinion. But I wouldn't too much worry about it. It would be impossible to figure out which app it's coming out unless you use a tracer to delete Appstore apps such as "Appcleaner" and really going through the files one by one.

5. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

Apple Store allows to download and install Potentially Unwanted Program? :eek::eek::eek:

You gave me a good advice Appcleaner... lets find out...

Thanks
    Came

6. Ritsuka macrumors 6502a

Those are cached files (probably text or image) used by the App Store. Those files are no executable and I probably just false positive.

7. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

it is a text and you are right It was a FP

Update: I had to report it to AVG, because AVAST never provide me support about this issue :mad:

Thanks
    Came

09Avast_virus.jpg