Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Hi all,

I'm planning on surprising my 6 yr old with a puppy from the pound within the coming days and just for kicks I thought i'd ask here for cool, interesting, unique dog names.

It's going to be a puppy from the city pound, and a 90% chance it'll be a male.
I've been visiting the pound on a daily basis, seeking out the appropriate dog to have, and am planning on having him for the long run..12-15 years.

Did you know only 1 out of 10 dogs becomes a permanent dog with one owner for the rest of his/her life?

Anyhow. I've been attending the pound and first fell in love with a 4 month Terrier Mix, though someone had already claimed him (only a couple pounds, about the size of an iPad). Two days later I saw the most adorable 8 month pudgy Terrier Mix that weights about 7 pounds and had the most infectious happy mood i've seen in ages, but alas someone else had claimed him too. Finally, I saw an incredible white and brown with white/blue eye Siberian Husky that was about 10 pounds and about the size of 2 iPads (lol). This Siberian Husky was available, however I heard they shed a whole lot considering they're originally from sub-zero climates and grow to be huge… not that this is an issue, but considering I'm certain i'll be moving from a house to an apartment to another apartment to another house (for certain) in the next decade, I didn't think it fair for the Siberian Husky to go through small spaces and my lack of being present on some days of the week while I work..

Nevertheless, though i'm not oppose to puppy advice, I figured this thread to focus on cool names.

Of course I do have some interests… most notably being outer space (comets, asteroids, planets, stars, moons) and history such a ancient Egypt, Japan…etc.

Open to discussion!

Last edited:

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Hi all,

I'm planning on surprising my 6 yr old with a puppy from the pound within the coming days and just for kicks I thought i'd ask here for cool, interesting, unique dog names.

It's going to be a puppy from the city pound, and a 90% chance it'll be a male.
I've been visiting the pound on a daily basis, seeking out the appropriate dog to have, and am planning on having him for the long run..12-15 years.

Did you know only 1 out of 10 dogs becomes a permanent dog with one owner for the rest of his/her life?

Anyhow. I've been attending the pound and first fell in love with a 4 month Terrier Mix, though someone had already claimed him (only a couple pounds, about the size of an iPad). Two days later I saw the most adorable 8 month pudgy Terrier Mix that weights about 7 pounds and had the most infectious happy mood i've seen in ages, but alas someone else had claimed him too. Finally, I saw an incredible white and brown with white/blue eye Siberian Husky that was about 10 pounds and about the size of 2 iPads (lol). This Siberian Husky was available, however I heard they shed a whole lot considering they're originally from sub-zero climates and grow to be huge… not that this is an issue, but considering I'm certain i'll be moving from a house to an apartment to another apartment to another house (for certain) in the next decade, I didn't think it fair for the Siberian Husky to go through small spaces and my lack of being present on some days of the week while I work..

Nevertheless, though i'm not oppose to puppy advice, I figured this thread to focus on cool names.

Of course I do have some interests… most notably being outer space (comets, asteroids, planets, stars, moons) and history such a ancient Egypt, Japan…etc.

Open to discussion!

Why don't you let your own child name it's own dog?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Just my opinion, but if my son wanted to name the little puppy, Franky, I'd let him name him that.

Is this about your happiness or your son's happiness?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Why don't you let your own child name it's own dog?

Truth be told, it's not my child… he's my little brother.

And considering i'm the one who will be taking care of him.. i'll most likely be the one the dog will go with when and wherever I move for the next coming years. The dog is my responsibility for the next decade, but my little brother will grow up with him for the next few months on a daily basis and then see the dog on a weekly basis from then on out.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
So you start the thread off with "my 6 yr old" and now he's "not my child… he's my little brother?"

Regardless, I'd still leave it up to him.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
So you start the thread off with "my 6 yr old" and now he's "not my child… he's my little brother?"

Regardless, I'd still leave it up to him.

I did expect this situation before posting this thread, just didn't think it would happen instantly. I do consider him "my 6 yr old" considering how involved I am and don't need to be… I'm over 20 years older than him. But of course, this thread isn't about that.

It's about puppy names. :eek:

Edit: Admittedly, I want the puppy to have a dog name, not a person's name.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Sorry...but I have to go along with the other posters on this thread....I'd let your son/brother name the dog. You seem to have some problem calling the dog "Franky"...as if it were enormously important that the name pleases you.

Also, just curious and perhaps not my business...but why did you make it seem as if the youngster is your son, and not your brother?

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Sorry...but I have to go along with the other posters on this thread....I'd let your son/brother name the dog. You seem to have some problem calling the dog "Franky"...as if it were enormously important that the name pleases you.

Also, just curious and perhaps not my business...but why did you make it seem as if the youngster is your son, and not your brother?

I've always considered him little one, my partner… especially considering the lack of a father figure around… to answer your second question.

As for the first "Franky" concern; I just don't like it. I realistically see myself living with this dog for the coming years. My little brother is in this phase of just wanting a dog for wants sake. I'm certain he'll love the dog for the first few weeks and then will just expect the dog to be at home and that'll be that. I'll take the dog with me when they move out, but that won't be a possibility considering no one else in this house currently wants to take care of a dog. This puppy undertaking is all me for the next decade; my little brother will call him his however.

Furthermore, my sister, who is also 20 years older than him as well got a dog a year ago and told our little brother that its his… even though this dog lives on the other side of the country. The dog FaceTimes with him, but of course he didn't name that dog either… though he does consider the dog his.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Name him Freddy.

That's funny. I actually prefer that name much much much more than Frankie.

Maybe Frankie just reminds me of Frankie Muniz.

Attachments

• Frankie-Muniz-frankie-muniz-33493174-1024-768.png
    Frankie-Muniz-frankie-muniz-33493174-1024-768.png
    865.5 KB · Views: 84

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I did expect this situation before posting this thread, just didn't think it would happen instantly. I do consider him "my 6 yr old" considering how involved I am and don't need to be… I'm over 20 years older than him. But of course, this thread isn't about that.

It's about puppy names. :eek:

Edit: Admittedly, I want the puppy to have a dog name, not a person's name.

Well, like I said in post #5, is this about your happiness or his?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Honestly, I'd suggest for you to wait on giving him a name until you get him settled down in the family. His characteristics will make a name for him.

But there's nothing wrong with the name your brother wants to give him.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca

When it comes to the puppy, its about mine. :eek: I can easily answer that.

----------

Honestly, I'd suggest for you to wait on giving him a name until you get him settled down in the family. His characteristics will make a name for him.

But there's nothing wrong with the name your brother wants to give him.

I do feel waiting may be the best overall approach. However this does mean he'll most likely be naming him.

Of course Franky isn't a bad name, it's just I always had a name in mind for the past 2 years that I wanted to name a dog.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Agreed. This is really about his happiness, not something petty.

As for a Terrier mix, "Franky" is great. Pets for the most do have human names; My next door neighbour has a golden retriever, named Cali; the previous golden they had before that was named Shae.

My wife's guide dogs: Walter, and Willa, both yellow labs.

My childhood miniature Schnauzer: Belle.

Each one of their names matched their personality. Walter was wise, Willa was patient. Belle was loving. Cali and Shae are fun and hyper (as most golden retrievers are).

If Franky matches with how the 6 year old sees him, then it's perfect. This dog is going to be his best friend for a long time; when he has fights with his other friends, this dog is going to be there for him no matter what. Arguing over a name, especially compared to the joy it will bring the 6 year old, sounds petty.

BL.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I've always considered him little one, my partner… especially considering the lack of a father figure around… to answer your second question.

As for the first "Franky" concern; I just don't like it. I realistically see myself living with this dog for the coming years. My little brother is in this phase of just wanting a dog for wants sake. I'm certain he'll love the dog for the first few weeks and then will just expect the dog to be at home and that'll be that. I'll take the dog with me when they move out, but that won't be a possibility considering no one else in this house currently wants to take care of a dog. This puppy undertaking is all me for the next decade; my little brother will call him his however.

Furthermore, my sister, who is also 20 years older than him as well got a dog a year ago and told our little brother that its his… even though this dog lives on the other side of the country. The dog FaceTimes with him, but of course he didn't name that dog either… though he does consider the dog his.

If the name must please you, and you alone...and you don't want to use a name pleasing to your brother....why even mention your brother, as his feelings and desires are apparently irrelevant to you.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I like Frankie. It's a good mafioso name. You could get a couple more dogs and name them Vinnie and Tony.

Then when you walk in the door and only see one of the dogs, you can say "Yo Fankie! Where the **** are Vinnie and Tony!"

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I like Frankie. It's a good mafioso name. You could get a couple more dogs and name them Vinnie and Tony.

Then when you walk in the door and only see one of the dogs, you can say "Yo Fankie! Where the **** are Vinnie and Tony!"

Lol. I wish I could have three dogs.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If the name must please you, and you alone...and you don't want to use a name pleasing to your brother....why even mention your brother, as his feelings and desires are apparently irrelevant to you.

Well said. Apparently the son/brother is just an excuse for getting a dog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.