Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
My friend had two dogs:

Mac & Tosh

I'm not making this up

http://looneytunes.wikia.com/wiki/The_Goofy_Gophers_(characters)

Goofy-Gophers-Cartoon-Photos.jpg

Although, you are posting to an Apple forum, so definitely apropos. :D

BL.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
Do not draw the name out of a hat. does not end well for family health.

Either go with nala or Jebediah.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Franklin. As in Ben Franklin.

Then you could call it Ben, the kid could call it Franky, you're both happy, and the kid gets a history lesson. Done and done :D

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Is it just me, or is this a slightly strange thread....

I want a puppy for my son....

I want a puppy for my brother....

I want to name the puppy...but I don't care what my brother/son/whoever thinks...

I want a name that pleases me...

And, BTW, I'm really getting the puppy for me, my son/brother/whoever is just an excuse...

...more than slightly strange, say I...:rolleyes:

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Franklin. As in Ben Franklin.

Then you could call it Ben, the kid could call it Franky, you're both happy, and the kid gets a history lesson. Done and done :D

This is what the MacRumors community is all about!

----------

I want to name the puppy...but I don't care what my brother/son/whoever thinks...

And, BTW, I'm really getting the puppy for me, my son/brother/whoever is just an excuse...

I think I just wanted to keep the thread going.

Imagine if I was messing with all of you and I not only don't have a little brother but (plot twist) i'm secretly a dog that learned to type and is running amok at a public library somewhere?

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Let the kid chose but you can make suggestions. :)

Fang, Killer, Ruff, Slobbers.
Jethro, Jane Doe, and PeeWee were the favorite names of our cats. We could not think of a name for the one who became Jane. ;)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
If the name must please you, and you alone...and you don't want to use a name pleasing to your brother....why even mention your brother, as his feelings and desires are apparently irrelevant to you.

Indeed, the same thought occurred to me.

For a dog? Seriously? Can you imagine throwing a stick, for said animal to fetch - and - as you try not to mangle the vowels and master the pronunciation in that name as you cry out, shouting: "Go, fetch,…..Pleiades!"

This is the best one so far. I just wish I had two dogs. I like unique/fun names…

Like George Michael from Arrested Development.

Joe Pesci. lol.

----------

Ooh i like even better. I have a fascination with satellites. I love Saturn's moons.

Saturn's moons. Yes. Right…..

Well, it does serve to remind me of a somewhat acerbic comment which went around the Faculty, years ago, when I was teaching, when a member of staff named his cat "Wittgenstein", and, it was said that he was "living beyond his intellectual means"….

If it weren't a car mark, I would prefer the japanese name, Subaru.

I like Pleiades the best, but there are other cool options from space.

Io
Cosmo
Draco
Orion
Corona
Pegasus

Personally, in this sort of context, I rather like Archimedes……you know, difficult to pronounce, slightly obscure, (all those fulcrum metaphors you could casually toss aside) and entirely appropriate for a dog you intend to adopt for a son/sibling or family member with a slightly ambiguous status….

Good God man, if the kid wants to name the dog 'Franky', this is what you should name the animal; this will give the youngster a sense of commitment, ownership, and involvement….or, maybe, as others have commented, this is all about you, and not him?

Agreed. Completely. Fervently. Very well said….

This is what the MacRumors community is all about!

----------

I think I just wanted to keep the thread going.

Imagine if I was messing with all of you and I not only don't have a little brother but (plot twist) i'm secretly a dog that learned to type and is running amok at a public library somewhere?

Right. And your point is, what, exactly? You are a dog? Or a time waster? Or someone who just wished for the sheer self-indulgent enjoyment of it all, and loved to wind people up?

If the dog is real, and if (obviously, given this last post, two rather large conditional ifs), your sibling/son is real, let the kid name the dog. Period.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
Let the kid chose but you can make suggestions. :)

Fang, Killer, Ruff, Slobbers.
Jethro, Jane Doe, and PeeWee were the favorite names of our cats. We could not think of a name for the one who became Jane. ;)

Pretty clever with the jane name. :)

----------

Indeed, the same thought occurred to me.

For a dog? Seriously? Can you imagine throwing a stick, for said animal to fetch - and - as you try not to mangle the vowels and master the pronunciation in that name as you cry out, shouting: "Go, fetch,…..Pleiades!"

Saturn's moons. Yes. Right…..

Well, it does serve to remind me of a somewhat acerbic comment which went around the Faculty, years ago, when I was teaching, when a member of staff named his cat "Wittgenstein", and, it was said that he was "living beyond his intellectual means"….

Personally, in this sort of context, I rather like Archimedes……you know, difficult to pronounce, slightly obscure, (all those fulcrum metaphors you could casually toss aside) and entirely appropriate for a dog you intend to adopt for a son/sibling or family member with a slightly ambiguous status….

Good God man, if the kid wants to name the dog 'Franky', this is what you should name the animal; this will give the youngster a sense of commitment, ownership, and involvement….or, maybe, as others have commented, this is all about you, and not him?

Agreed. Completely. Fervently. Very well said….

Right. And your point is, what, exactly? You are a dog? Or a time waster? Or someone who just wished for the sheer self-indulgent enjoyment of it all, and loved to wind people up?

If the dog is real, and if (obviously, given this last post, two rather large conditional ifs), your sibling/son is real, let the kid name the dog. Period.

We'll see. As of now one of Saturn's Moons is winning.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Thank you. Finally.

I don't want to name him after a person but food that gives you the runs is OK? :D

----------

Squilly-esque.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Honestly though, I'd let the kid name the dog. You can call it whatever you want, but at least let him/her have the joy of naming something, even if you personally don't like it.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

There is a misunderstanding here I don't fully appreciate.

You aren't the only one.

If getting the dog from the pound, odds are that he will be chipped for identity. So if lost and someone picks him up and takes him to the point, they will be able to identify him and the owner. So in essence, this "Jane Doe" will always be identified.

BL.

nissan.gtp

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2007
Virginia
get the dog, then name it. we've had 5 dogs (of which we have 3 right now). when you get them, somehow the a name feels "right"

on the other hand, just name it "dammit". solves a word of problems later :D

Grey Beard

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2005
The Antipodes.
Ooh i like even better. I have a fascination with satellites. I love Saturn's moons.[/QUOTE]

Imagine if I was messing with all of you and I not only don't have a little brother but (plot twist) i'm secretly a dog that learned to type and is running amok at a public library somewhere?[/QUOTE]

Well the Pleiades were the Seven Sisters and therefore feminine. A typing dog would be from the Family Guy, so that would be Brian.

However the dog from a kids TV show down here was called 'Rat Guts' which would be an admirable name.

KGB:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.