Purchase 27" iMac now, or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dlim, Aug 1, 2014.

  1. dlim macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #1
    Hey all,

    I've been looking into buying an iMac for a while now, but I've been constantly pushing it back waiting for the retina, or a good deal to come around. I have an option of getting the 27" base iMac (non fusion hdd, GT 755M) for $1545 out the door from best buy.

    Spoke with them yesterday and they said that Apple has independent decisions on what to price their products at vs. the rest of the products at best buy. And as of yesterday, the sale price for the 27" base imac was $1749.99, and it's dropped to $1679.99 for the next 2 days.

    Wondering if this is Apple's way of getting rid of the "older" models for a new line-up of iMacs, or if this will be similar to the rMBP refreshes (best buy has a sale on the late-2013 rMBP's but not the mid-2014 rMBP).

    Pretty much, should i get a 27" base iMac for $1545 out the door, or wait?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    If you're going to wait, it will probably a long wait, as Apple won't be doing anything until Intel releases the broadwell chipset in 2015.

    I'd buy one now.
     
  3. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

    MartinAppleGuy

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2013
    #3
    I'd wait. Looks like it would only be the 27" that will have a 4K option with those leaks a few days ago of a 2014 27" iMac.
     
  4. xgman macrumors 601

    xgman

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2007
    #4
    I doubt any higher res imac will be out before next year, but I do suspect a speed bump of some sort will hit this Fall. I'd wait if you can.
     
  5. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #5
    Yeah they haven't done anything yet for iMacs other than the low-end option. With the broadwell delay, I'm skeptical that they'll do anything drastic for iMacs this year. And if it's a minor speed upgrade on Haswell units (like the 0.2ghz upgrade on the macbooks), I'd rather purchase the 2013 model for $1550 than the 2014 model for $1800 + tax.

    Though I COULD see them releasing the 4K display this year, and broadwell + retina next year. Or broadwell, and then skylake + retina.

    Apple why you gotta do this to us :[
     
  6. MandiMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2012
    #6
    Just keep in mind that the iMacs could get the NVIDIA 8xxM series as a graphics solution which would offer bumps between 10 and 50 percent better performance respectively. I'm in the same boat as you, I'll get an iMac with SSD and the maxed out graphics card as it's not gonna be upgradeable later on. Then again, I'm sort of a gamer and want the best iMac I can play something on, I don't know if you'd be in dire need of the best graphics card inside.
     
  7. khedden macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2014
    Location:
    Charleston, SC
    #7
    Here's my thinking, take it for what you will.

    I have a super old 2006 iMac I have been itching to replace. I was planning to wait until the next refresh in 2014 for these reasons:

    a) possible lower SSD pricing
    b) possible retina (or just higher res) screen
    c) possible GPU refresh (nVidia 8xxm series)

    After the Macbook pro minor refresh I doubt SSD pricing will be any lower (it didn't change for the MBP), and the GPU refresh is in doubt since the MBP stayed with the 750m.

    A retina screen is doubtful until 2015 due to cost and a proper GPU powerful enough to drive it. Plus I don't see Apple offering a retina screen at current model prices.

    So given all this, I was looking at waiting for a minor refresh (0.2 GHz CPU bump, plus maybe a GPU hike) in late 2014 or else waiting until Spring 2015 for a Broadwell refresh, new GPU, plus a better chance at retina.

    I pulled the trigger today on a refurb 27" (i7, 3GB Fusion, 780m). Why? I live in a state that is having a tax-free weekend today through Sunday, so that saves me a good bit off the top, making the maxed out refurb only $100 more than the $1999 27" iMac + tax.

    If I waited for the minor refresh, I'd be paying full price (no option of a refurb) + tax and would either pay a lot more or compromise on features.

    If I waited for the major refresh... yeah, no, I wasn't willing to wait 7+ months to replace my 2006.
     
  8. zedsdead macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2007
    #8
    Absolutely the right decision. Enjoy it, you'll have an amazing machine.
     
  9. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

    Rud3Bwoy

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2011
    #9
    i bought mines to even if they made a 4k version expect it to be expensive.

    even tho i got a suped out imac 27 the 4k alone monitor would drive that cost up like crazy

    i don't regret my purchase either loving this imac,this baby flies!
     
  10. yellerdied macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 1, 2014
    #10
    Great post, khedden, and pretty much covered the bases I also considered re:imac.
    I'd also add that sometimes a kink or two needs to be worked out of the first-gen retina release for each product line.

    Sounds like a shweet deal on a loaded machine.
    I also scored a 27iMac w/Fusion refurb, yesterday.
    And then, later that evening, I ordered a refurb latest-gen Airport Extreme ($169) to take advantage of the 802.11ac in these new iMacs.
    And there's a refurbed rMBP in the mail as well.

    cheers,
    The Refurberator
     
  11. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #11
    Best buy only offers the base 1tb with no option to upgrade to the fusion drive.

    If I get the base 27" iMac and pick up an SSD and put it in an external enclosure, can I run OSx off of the external and would I have similar, if not the same, performance as a fusion drive?
     
  12. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

    Rud3Bwoy

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2011
    #12
    depends on the speed of the ssd

    the flash storage on the imac 27 inch that i have reads and writes over 700 mbs
     
  13. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #13
    What about the Samsung 840?

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147193

    It's rated at 520 MB/s.

    And are you referring to the SSD drive option? Or the flash portion of the fusion drives.
     
  14. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

    Rud3Bwoy

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2011
    #14
    not sure how external drives perform on a mac,but if that's the rated speed and you're able to hit that via externally yeah the system will be fast

    on my mac pro that i had 2 years ago before selling it the ssd i installed was only a tad over 300 mb read and write and it was still super fast!
     
  15. thedeske macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2013
    #15
    Never wait if you need a better machine to work. Life is short.

    Agree with the general opinion from many. A minor bump in Sep/Oct and a big update in spring to mid 2015.
     
  16. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #16
    I agree that unless it's a couple days/weeks prior to release, now is the right time to buy if you need to.

    In my case I don't need to buy. Just been wanting to make the dive for an iMac and I've just been keeping an eye out for a good deal, so I've been patiently waiting the past couple years.

    I feel like $1550 after taxes for the base late-2013 27" is a steal (correct me if there's better offers or you've seen better please!) vs possibly paying $1899 + tax or more for the next upgrade.

    As others have mentioned, I can't see them offering the 4k or retina for the current retail prices of the iMacs, just like when retina first came out for MBP.
     
  17. thedeske macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2013
    #17
    Not a bad price on new for sure. Couple of used same config on the bay "buy now" for same price, so? The one thing that really makes a difference on the low end config is SSD/Flash, no matter how small it is. Too bad that would kill your budget.
     
  18. dlim thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2012
    #18
    I would pay the $200 extra (1750 total then) for the fusion drive config but it's not offered at best buy :/. Buying an SSD and TB enclosure would put me at/over that $200 anyways so I'd pay for the convenience haha.
     
  19. bushman4 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2011
    #19
    Good chance that a 4K 27" iMac may be coming in the next month . Not expecting any great speed enhancements as Intel isn't ready yet.
    Besides myself there are many people waiting for a high end configurable iMac. so far Apple has only addressed releasing a value iMac
     
  20. Anchorman79 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2014
    #20
    Decisions decisions!

    Reading the above thread, do I pull the plug now on a refurb deal for a top end 27" i7, 3TB fusion, 4Gb Nvidia or wait until the autumn?? Deal saves me almost £400 vs current build to order! ;)

    In my opinion, retina iMac next year, small speed bump in the autumn with possible fusion & ram changes/price drops..... :rolleyes:
     
  21. mcrazza macrumors member

    mcrazza

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2008
    Location:
    Hobart, Australia
    #21
    The real question you need to ask is this: do you need a retina display or not? If so, then wait. If not, then go ahead and buy the $1545 model.

    @Anchorman79
    I'd do it in a heartbeat. :)
     
  22. Serban, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

    Serban Suspended

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2013
    #22
    Wait for the retina iMac with 880MX GPU +Yosemite
     
  23. brerlappin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2012
    #23
    Don't forget if you use Adobe CS6, most of the apps aren't optimized for retina and there's no guarantee it'll work perfectly with Yosemite.

    So if you're in that situation, you should buy now. Unless you want to pay Adobe forever for using its retina apps.
     
  24. Rud3Bwoy Suspended

    Rud3Bwoy

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2011
    #24
    and you think it's going to come cheap?lol.even if a 4k comes out there is going to be a nice price tag along with a 4k 27 inch display
     
  25. Mac32, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

    Mac32 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2010
    #25
    880MX would be fantastic. I really hope Apple will release an MX-option when Nvidias Maxwell is available. 680MX still compares very favourably to both 780M and 880M, when considering 680MX' superior overclocking ability. 880M is quite frankly a disappointment IMO, because it still uses the same GPU-chip as 680MX - only higher clocked. The same with 780M, which although slightly higher clocked doesn't overclock properly - ie. throttles. 880MX should be an entirely different architecture based on the upcoming GTX880, just like 680MX was a downclocked GTX680.
     

Share This Page