Purchase 2nd Tier MBP for $500?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mikeyrogers, Nov 4, 2008.

?

Should I replace my free MBP with the 2nd tier one for $500?

Poll closed Nov 5, 2008.
  1. Of course, for $500, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. You got it for free, be happy with what you got.

4 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Other.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mikeyrogers macrumors member

Hey everyone. An interesting circumstance:

Two weeks ago Apple replaced my first gen MBP with a new one for free (under AppleCare) due to some ongoing issues. After loving this laptop, I soon realized that, after looking at my receipt, I could essentially change this laptop out for the 2nd tier MBP for only $500 ($200 restocking + $300 student price difference).

Now, to note, I am a visual effects student and could benefit from the added features. I know the processor speed upgrade is minimal, but aside from that and the extra GPU memory, I can upgrade everything else myself.

What do you all think? Is the extra CPU, memory, HDD space and GPU memory worth $500, especially considering I got this one for free?

2. RGunner macrumors 6502a

RGunner

Depends...

Are you satisfied with the build / screen of the one you have? You always risk getting one with a stuck pixel, missaligned lid or something worse. Usually Apple takes care of, but if you are happy with the machine, keep it.

If it were me, I would take that $500 and buy Crucial ram to 4GB and a new 320GB Seagate 7200 drive. Take the remaining money and buy significant other a nice dinner :)

3. mikeyrogers thread starter macrumors member

With the exception of the loud space bar and mouse click as well as a non-responsive click at times (I think everyone is experiencing these three issues), I am very happy with the laptop.

I went and priced all these components online and came out with the following:

$79 for a 320 GB HDD
    $160 for 4GB RAM
    $114 for the GPU (the desktop version)
    $331 for the CPU

Total upgrade price: $684

Yes, I know you can't replace the last two. I'm just using them for comparison purposes.

So with that said, if I theoretically purchased all these separately and I'm getting it for $500, I'm essentially getting a $184 deal, right?

4. munckee macrumors 65816

If you got it as a warranty replacement, are you sure they'll let you return it as they would a new purchase?

5. mikeyrogers thread starter macrumors member

I am. Not only does it have a return date of today on the receipt (with a restocking fee), but I also called to verify with the employee that swapped it out for me.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm satisfied with my purchase. Aside from games (which is what I have my PS3 for), I don't really see the need for that extra GPU memory boost. I checked all the visual effects and photo manipulation software out there and really none of them care about the amount of memory your GPU has but more on the type of card you have and the features it supports (which, don't both cards on the different systems support the same exact features?). The only other things they care about are RAM and CPU and HDD speed.

I think I'll just go with what RGunner said...