Purchase 3G version only never to use the 3G?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cdembek, Mar 16, 2011.

?

Did you purchase the 3G version only never to use the 3G?

1. Never used the 3G

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Never used the 3G, should of purchased the 32G WIFI

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Use the 3G a couple times a month

14 vote(s)
    43.8%
  4. Use the 3G all the time

9 vote(s)
    28.1%
  1. cdembek macrumors regular

Just wondering how many folks purchased a 3G version iPad only to never use the 3G?

2. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    This past year I used the 3G a few times -- it was good to have it available for those times that I needed/wanted it. For $15/mo it was worth it. So far with the new iPad 2 I haven't yet turned on the 3G since I want to wait until the end of the month when the other one finishes up its 30-day period, and then I'll cancel it on the older iPad and start up a new month-to-month 3G availability with the new iPad 2.

3. ukwildcat macrumors 6502

I don't use the 3G regularly. In fact, I only paid for 3G during 2 months last year. But I liked having the ability to do so when I needed it.

4. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

Used my 3G when I was traveling abroad since my university here is blanketed in Wi-Fi.

5. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

This is what made me get the original iPad in wifi only. I feel like with an iPhone, I'd never activate the 3G. Just having the option to do so doesn't justify the extra cost.

6. iKrl macrumors regular

I thought that I was going to use it very little and that I had just wasted my money, however when I travel it is extremely useful. Maps, cheap gas, things to do, cinema showings and contacting my friends have been some of the things I've been able to do when abroad thanks to the iPad being 3G unlocked. I find this feature extremely useful when I need it, although I don't use it very often.

7. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

only 3g model has gps too. so i'm betting there's at least a handful of people out there that got the 3g over wifi just for the gps

8. jlyanks85 macrumors 6502a

Bought the 3G version for the original ipad and never used the 3G once in the entire time I owned it (before I sold it to upgrade). That's why I bought a wifi only this time. One of the main reasons why I bought the 3G version last year, was just to "have 3G" whenever I needed it and obviously I never actually needed it to activate it, since I used my iphone for 3G. I thought I would of used it when I went on vacation, but never did.

So I'll just use a mobile hotspot this time when I want to surf the web a bit before I go to sleep when I'm on vacation.

9. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Back when I bought the ipad 1, I got the 3G because there was no personal hotspot on my iPhone and I didnt want to jailbreak. Now that there's personal hotspot, I really don't need 3G. On the ipad 1, I even went as far as getting two different 3G plans for the other countries I travel to frequency. Almost never used 3G and ended up cancelling both plans.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I use 3g just about every hour of every day

I go around the city 3-4 times a week and rarely have access to free Wifi. I need access as well to pull up information when needed.

I hear about all these people having Wifi wherever they go and am quite jealous

11. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I bought the 3G version only for when traveling and an emergency backup for school or what not. Have an iPhone 4 with unlimited so thats my day to day 3G.

12. Lagranger macrumors member

Bought a 32gb 3G iPad2 but don't have any immediate plan to activate 3G. Got the 3G model just to have GPS (for use with offline/onboard map apps). Same situation as my 1st-gen model. I'd have gone for a wifi-only device if it came with the same builtin GPS hardware as the 3G models.