Purchase a macbook or a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cloroxbleach4, Dec 28, 2007.

1. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

So, i've used windows my entire life and i'm getting ready to move to a different school and decided that I would like to get a Mac. I know the macbook pros are able to run both leopard and windows using bootcamp. I was wondering if the macbooks were able to do this. Which computer would you recommend? And what are the difference between the two?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

yes the macbooks are able to dual boot. the main differences are the GPU, on the macbook Pro you have a larger screen than the macbook, and you have a choice between Matte and glossy screens on the Macbook Pro. to be able to recomend one over the other it really depends what you want to do with it.

3. notengolegs macrumors member

notengolegs

It really depends on what you would be using the machine for, and both MacBooks and MacBook Pros can run Windows.

4. Dan0903 macrumors member

Well i need a machine i can play games on, and do lots of video editing, motion and animation.

so im guessing i need a pro huh?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Definitely MacBook Pro then.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If you are wanting to run any games from the last year or two you will need the Pro, and the GPU would help for everything else you want to do.

7. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I just need to laptop for day to day activities such as email, web browsing, and music. I usually don't play games on the computer so that won't be an issue. I just it for school.

Does the macbook come with bootcamp or is it only the mbp?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Neither comes with Bootcamp, but it will be available on your Leopard installation DVDs.

9. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

does anyone have experience in switch from windows to mac? is it a big jump? will I have to purchase a new printer and other peripherials to accomadate the mac?

will it work with my current wireless network at my house? or will i have to purchase one of the airport base stations?

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a

MBP all the way, I have had both and would not buy another MB. It should work with your wireless at home, simply input you wireless settings and away you go. I found it easy my wife found it irritating at times as she was an office wizz and the shortcuts were slightly different, but no she loves her mac. What peripherals are you referring to?

11. cloroxbleach4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Basically a printer, an external harddrive, and a PC ipod.

12. aethelbert macrumors 601

BootCamp is a part of Leopard, so it will come with all macs. Judging by your needs, a macbook would be great. Since you're not doing anything graphically intense, the integrated graphics would be more than enough. And if you just want to do some occasional light gaming, there's no need to fork over hundreds of dollars for a macbook pro. Sure you won't get the best performance ever, but you'll have a lot more money in your pocket.

I say go for the macbook. Especially if this is your first mac, there's no need to spend $2000+ when you don't even need all of the power in the macbook pro. Use the money that you save over the macbook pro to get some accessories. That difference will easily be able to get you iWork (or office, I prefer the former but it's a personal choice), a case, wireless mouse, and wireless keyboard. Even then you'd still have some extra cash, so you could get some more ram (2gb should last you a long time for your needs), maybe a bigger hard drive if you think that you would fill the standard one up, or possibly make the investment in AppleCare. If the performance between the two machines seems like a problem to you, I can assure you that normal day to day tasks won't notice any difference in speed between the macbook and the pro.

If you're a college student, also be sure to check out the education discounts. This doesn't apply to any other students, though. It would save you $100 on a macbook and $200 on a macbook pro along with a bit more if you decided on any custom upgrades from Apple. The 3-year warranty is also significantly less expensive if you're a college student.

I made the switch over the summer and it was very easy. I picked up on the whole operating system in less than two days. Your printer will be fine and it is very likely that everything else will be as well. Right when you first turn it on, it will detect your wifi network. Here, I have the only mac and it plays nice with everything that the PCs use and what I had with my old PC. You won't need a new router unless you want the features of Apple's routers, which aren't really worth the money if you already have a functional one.

Also, you mentioned that you have an iPod. Just back up your iTunes content onto CDs or DVDs and restore them onto a mac. Then when you sync your iPod, it will erase itself, become mac-friendly, and put all of your content back on. It shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck

13. MezicanGangxtah macrumors regular

Well for one all intel macs are capable of running windows. As for the recomendation I would give you would be that you should go for a macbook seing as it fills your needs and doesnt break the bank either.Im asumming your a college student so if you are hopefully you are aware that you can get discounts for being one! Answering your other question i suggest you go to the apple website and see exactly what are the diffrences bewteen the two notebooks, but in a nutshell they're pretty much diffrent in the fact that pros are bigger and more expensive but offer more options (actual GFX card,expresscard, 7200 RPM HD...) while macbook are more of a consumer product. Once agian good luck with your desicion and welcome to macs!