Purchase ADC select, then MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paulyras, Oct 10, 2007.

1. paulyras macrumors 6502

Hi all, just a sanity check...

The ADC select membership is $499, and comes with one ADC hardware discount. The 15" 2.4 MBP is $2499 list, $1999 ADC discount. The obvious question to me is, why not do it that way? Is there a downside?

I probably wont have too much use for the membership, but access to beta software never hurts. If I had looked into this 6 months ago and been in the market, it would be a no brainier to be able to play with the beta builds, but it's still tempting regardless...

In all honesty, if Apple would just tell me that I would get leopard when released, I'd probably just go to the apple store tonight and not bother, but that's another story.

Thanks,

Paul

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

If you're buying the membership solely to obtain a Macbook Pro might I suggest rethinking this.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I'm Joining ADC To Get Maximum Discount On Harpertown-Stoakley 8 Core Mac Pro

Makes more sense when the list price is north of $3K. I'm joining to get a lot off my Mac Pro purchase as well as Leopard. But I'm also buying a copy of Leopard for delivery on shipping day.

Currently the base 8 core MP is $3,198 at the ADC store
    While it costs $3,997 list
    Academic $3,647

PLUS SALES TAX

So it's $3,698 at ADC but sales tax is only on the $3,198 and that's $40 less in california.

So it's about a wash. But you get a copy of Leopard plus monthly software DVD mailings including newer versions of Leopard over the year.

4. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Dont forget to include tax when you buy ADC Membership. That'll make up for the $40 difference.

And by the time it's out, Leopard will be out as well so it's moot if you're planning on a free copy of Leopard to make up for the price difference.

Oh, and Stoakley = Harpertown + Seaburg chipset. Harpertown is implied when you say Stoakley :)

5. paulyras thread starter macrumors 6502

See, that's my thinking. It's not just leopard, but the possibility of working with new software tools before they hit prime time. I just don't see the downside.

6. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

technically you're only allowed to use the machines for development.

7. NoOneButMe macrumors regular

Unless you're a developer, the tools will be useless to you - ADC is stuff like XCode or library or documentation updates. Not FCS / Pro tools / etc updates.